Chapter 114: Unexpected Insight

As the weather starts to warm, the cloud of grief that accompanied the Dowager's passing begins to lift. The Dowager protected you for a reason and you don't want to let her down. You decide to figure out a way to unpick the astrologer's dark prophesy and get yourself back into the Emperor's good graces.

Xiu Ying: Is everything ready, Shi Lian?

Shi Lian: It is, My Lady. One hour from now the Emperor will be at the Imperial Gardens with several ladies to admire the flowers. My source is certain!

Xiu Ying: Good. We should go to make sure everything goes to plan.

Shi Lian: [Worried] What if we are seen?

Xiu Ying: Don't you trust me, even after all this time? I just want to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Shi Lian: [Still worried] Wouldn't it be better If I went alone? You stay in Phoenix Hall and wait for my return!

You know Shi Lian is worried about you, but you're determined to go. You get to the gardens early and find a suitable place to hide. Stately pavilions, grand old willows, bright flowers and remarkable-looking rocks adorn the foreshore. It is a scene fit for a king.

Xiu Ying: [Whispering] Where IS he? These mosquitos are too much!

Shi Lian: [Amused] Be patient, my Lady! I'll put some ointment on them when we get back.

Just as she speaks, a crowd of palace women in brightly colored regalia comes into view. The Emperor is among them. You can't help smiling...

Eunuch: There's someone hiding in the bushes!

Xiu Ying: (Damn! He's going to see it.)

Shi Lian jumps up.

Shi Lian: It's just me! I'm just getting my hanky! You scared me!

Eunuch: Sorry, I thought someone was skulking around in the bushes. You'd better get out of here. The Emperor is coming this way and you don't want to run into him!

Shi Lian: Okay! Thanks!

The eunuch waits for Shi Lian. They walk off together, chatting. Shi Lian doesn't dare to turn back to look at you. Before long the Emperor, Empress Rong and several ladies approach. The time has come and you put your plan into action.

Noble Consort: Hey! What's that?

The Noble Consort draws everyone's attention to a section of the mountain rockery, where a light appears to be floating over one of the peaks.

Queen Rong: Is that a light? How strange! What is it?

Gradually, the hovering light starts to take shape. It has teeth and claws and coils through the air like a dragon!

Noble Consort: [Joyfully] Your Majesty! It's a dragon! An auspicious omen! What a miracle!

When you hear the palace women erupt into excited chatter you know your plan has worked and you slip away, unseen. There's still one last thing to do to make sure the whole plan works – that's put away the prop and avoid being discovered.

Guard: [Running headlong towards you] My Lady! Have you heard? A dragon has been sighted in the Imperial Gardens! Do you want to take a look?

You place your hands on your stomach, pretending to be in pain.

Xiu Ying: I'm not feeling well. Maybe later!

Guard: Can I take you back, my Lady?

Xiu Ying: No, it's not that bad. Go and see for yourself. It may not be there for much longer.

The guard checks you over several times to make sure you're okay, then sprints off in the direction of the garden. You let you your breath, which you didn't realize you'd been holding, and run up the stairs to the top of the pavilion to collect your prop.

Xiu Ying: Bad omens are soon last year. This year good omens are all the rage – I'll make sure of it. There'll be new rumor, one about an auspicious omen... Hopefully the Emperor will forget about that stupid astrologer's prediction... and killing me.

Mumbling to yourself, you stow the prop under your robes and race down the steps, back towards the Phoenix Hall. To your surprise Eunuch Hai, the Emperor's steward, arrives with the hour.

Eunuch Hai: County Lady, the Emperor wishes to see you.

Your eye twitches all the way to the Hall of Mental Cultivation.

Hu Ling: [Astonished] The Emperor is still in the Imperial Garden, my Lady... He must have something very important to tell you! Please come inside.

The Hall of Mental Cultivation is deathly quiet. You sit upright on the chair provided, feeling very conspicuous.

Xiu Ying: (Why did the Emperor summon me while he was still in the gardens? I was so careful. Could he have found out already?)

Hu Ling: [Placing a pot of tea down in front of you] They say an auspicious sign was seen in the gardens. Did you see it?

Xiu Ying: (News travels fast. The whole palace must be talking about it... But the question is, does the Emperor really believe it?) I haven't had a chance yet.

Just at that moment a eunuch announces the Emperor's return. Both of you turn to face the door and bow deeply. His golden boots soon come into view. When he speaks, you cannot tell if he is pleased or displeased.

Emperor: Truly County Lady, you are full of surprises!

Xiu Ying: Your Majesty... I'm not sure what you mean.

You're the one who set things into motion. You'd better see it through to the end. Besides, it looks like the emperor has already guessed it was you.

Before speaking again, the Emperor waves his hand, dismissing everyone else from the hall.

Emperor: [Sitting, regarding you closely] Tell me, how was it done? Remember I told you once, in the palace nothing happens without my knowledge.

Nodding, you dutifully remove the prop still hidden inside your bodice and hand it over to the Emperor. It's a mirror, exquisitely designed. It was this mirror you used to project the image of a dragon onto the mountain rockery.

Emperor: [Taking it, looking surprised] What's this? A mirror?

Xiu Ying: It's a special bronze mirror. Only the best smiths can make them. In the right light, it projects the image engraved on the back a very long distance.

Emperor: It's wonderful... Magical even. How did you come by such a thing?

Xiu Ying: Money makes the devil dance.

He looks at you for a moment, then bursts out laughing. You don't know what the laugh can mean or what he will say next. You stand there, completely stunned, his laughter echoing around the hall.

Emperor: If anyone can make the devil dance, it is you merchant's daughter!