Chapter 36: Dangerous Question

You still worry about the Crown Prince's spy in the Hall of Mental Cultivation however. That person might ruin your plans later if you don't catch him soon. One thing's for sure. The spy has to be an unimportant eunuch or maid. There was only a few people when the 11th Prince was punished. You put all your attention on them lately, and soon you have a suspect.

Xiu Ying: [Passes a mandarin] Good work. Have this mandarin, it's really sweet.

Young Eunuch: Thanks miss! Thanks miss! You are the best! No wonder the Emperor likes you.

Xiu Ying: We are all here to serve His Majesty. No need to be so modest. we got to help each other out.

Young Eunuch: That's right.

Xiu Ying: They say serving the emperor is serving the tiger. I'm scared day after day. One mistakes and my head will be gone. Everyone was freaked out on that day with the 11th Prince.

Young Eunuch: We do need to be more careful around the Emperor. I heard about the 11th Prince. His Majesty was furious. Thankfully you were there.

Xiu Ying: Wait, that means you weren't there on that day?

Young Eunuch: I was supposed to, but I had a bad stomachache and Eunuch Li filled in for me.

Only the select few can serve the Emperor. There are occasionally some substitutes like when I got sick on that day, but those are far in between. You starting to suspect Eunuch Li. Now you will try to act.

Xiu Ying: You are the Eunuch De that Matron Qin keeps talking about?

Eunuch Li looks startled, the he smiles.

Eunuch Li: I am, I am!

His smile makes you speechless.

Xiu Ying: (That took no effort at all... No wonder the Crown Prince from the previous life was dethroned. he's got nobody useful helping him.)

Eunuch Li: Hey, do you have any ways to get me work inside the Hall?

He looks at you with anticipation. Naturally you won't disappoint. However, what should he do to get himself into the pit?

Xiu Ying: I can't help you, but I can give you some advice.

Eunuch Li: [Anxious] Please do tell.

Xiu Ying: His Majesty drinks tea at specific times. You can look for an opportunity to pour him tea, right?

Eunuch Li: [Comes to realization] Indeed! You are wise! I won't let you down!

Eunuch Li really did not let you down. The next day, you hear that Eunuch Li angered the Emperor, and was demoted to the Hard Labor Camp.

Xiu Ying: (It probably took a lot of effort for the Crown Prince to get Eunuch Li to stay near the Hall. Too bad, he chose poorly.)

After the morning meeting, the Emperor looks gloomy as he walks into the Hall. Everyone at the Hall of Mental Cultivation feels tense. Many look to you for help.

Young Eunuch: [Passes the tea plate] You are all we can count on now.

You sigh and take the plate. You walk into the Hall of Mental Cultivation calmly and put the teacup down.

Xiu Ying: [Quietly] You seem exhausted, Your Majesty. May I do a head massage?

Emperor: My exhaustion won't go away with ginseng tea or a massage.

Xiu Ying: Well, what about a joke, or we get a musician in?

Emperor: [Looks up at you] You really are too careful. You could just ask why I'm exhausted!

Xiu Ying: [Laughs] I am. I'm only capable of thinking of ways to help you relax.

Emperor: You are not allowed to be too careful today! So.... Do you think the assassins were sent by my son?

The Emperor stares at you. You feel completely tense, and your heart races.

Xiu Ying: (This question will cost me my life!)

Even if you don't want to, you are forced to answer the question for the Emperor.

Xiu Ying: If you require an answer, then I must oblige. Each of the princes has his own flaws, but they are your sons. I doubt they'd commit such treachery.

Then you begin to analyze each of the prince's personality.

Emperor: You have talked about all of the princes, but not the Crown Prince. I know you're stalling. But you are right. I am suspecting him.

Xiu Ying: [Kneel down] I dare not.

Emperor: Still so careful. No improvement what so ever. Fine. No point in giving you a hard time.

You feel trapped. The gutsier you are, the faster you die when serving the Emperor. Might as well be careful and live long. Still, despite your cowardice, you know what the Emperor thinks and speak up about it. The Emperor trusts you more by the day.