Chapter 71: Hidden Danger

The Palace Painter

As days become cooler, The Emperor brings you all out of the summer palace and back to the imperial palace. It was probably because of the prince's argument incident that made everybody quiet down, giving some time of peace.

You are practicing calligraphy at the window. The Emperor's new eunuch, Eunuch Shun, comes to you with smiles.

Eunuch Shun: My lady, His Majesty invites you to the Imperial Garden. His Majesty commanded Bernie to make potraits for all the royal family, and that includes you. Please dress well and come with me.

Xiu Ying: I have heard of this Bernie. He's the new star artist in the palace. I even heard His Majesty talking about him a while ago.

You change up and go to the Imperial Garden.

You see a beautiful scene of lake side willows and beautiful ladies from a distance. A foreigner with blond hair and blue eyes is painting with full concentration.

Noble Consort: [Looks to you] Your Majesty is really fond of the new lady, even treating her as a princess.

The Noble Consort's words can easily be taken in the wrong way. Still you just smile and greet properly.

Concubine Zhuang: Princesses and ladies are quite different.

Emperor: Xiu Ying always reminds me of Princess Pingyang. She's much more fortunate than the princess though, and I'm glad.

The princesses are all reserved and thoughtful, except Princess Pingyang, who's loved because of her lively and fun demeanor. Unfortunately she died at thirteen years old. It was a painful time for the Emperor. The Emperor's words are a slap across Concubine Zhuang. She has an awkward look on her face, making the other women laugh at her.

Concubine Zhuang: I guess it's all on me then. I'm terrible with words. Please forgive me, lady.

Xiu Ying: I know you have no ill intentions. There's nothing to forgive.

The best part of having the Emperor around is that people won't have direct conflicts. Everyone maintains a faced of closeness. Furthermore, everyone, the concubines, princes, princesses, all want the Emperor's attention. Their fight won't fall on you yet.

Shu Xian: [Scowl] I should have dressed to stand out more today. I just put on something without thinking and it's so plain. It might not turn out good in painting.

You hear Shu Xian's voice and go up to her.

Xiu Ying: It's already beautiful. Pure as lotus, natural with grace. Still... I think it can look better.

You pick up a cotton rose and put it in Shu Xian's hair, giving her a highlight.

Bernie: [Surprised] Pretty! It's so pretty!

Bernie's voice catches the Emperor's attention. He take a look and agrees, making Shu Xian blush shyly.

Bernie: Your Majesty, rest assured I will capture all her beauty in my painting.

Emperor: [Looks to you] You got the right ideas! I wanted to stay longer, but there are documents to edit, so I'll be off.

The Emperor leave quickly. The scene of friendliness disappears instantly.

Noble Consort: Shu Xian looks so good. I'm jealous! Don't you know, new lady?

The Noble Consort's intention is clear. You pick a peony for her and put it between her hair until she's satisfied. Now all the consorts want a flower, and each of them want to be different. You get busy. It take you a long time to finally get the women at peace again. Now you finally wait on the side until Bernie finishes painting everyone before you.

Xiu Ying: [Mumbling] Sitting down after all that is like I'm retiring in peace.

Consort Rong: A young lady with an idea like that is quite surprising.

Consort Rong overhears you mumbling to yourself. That's even more surprising. Consort Rong is now much nonchalant towards you though. It's like she's back to the old, somewhat distant person again.

Consort Rong: I do feel that it is not right, what you have done today. It's one thing to satisfy one person, but another to satisfy everyone. You should know that people are greedy.

Consort Rong looks at you distantly. She seems to be hiding something else, giving you and odd vibe.

Xiu Ying: Thank you for your reminder. It's all just little things, and I don't mind making everyone happy.

Consort Rong: I hope you can say those same words later on as well.

You don't know what she means by that, but her mocking tone makes it uncomfortable.

Bernie: [Yells] Lady, it's your turn!

Bernie calls out to you. You quicken your footsteps and sit beside the lake. At this moment, you heard 14th Prince's voice.

14th Prince: Catch!

You extend your hand on impulse, and catch a wild flower that still has dew. It's strong-willed and vibrant. You are cheered up and give the 14th Prince a smile.