14 - The Ruins of Gorghlar

From the moment Alesana had wanted to examine the tower, Diaval had expected this to happen. The tower was one of the ancient ruins of Gorghlar, which he usually avoided. It spread a ghastly threat and whenever he was in his bird shape, it felt like his feathers were scorching. 

He hurried to Alesana. She laid on her side in the grass, her legs spread as if she had been running. Since he couldn't do much to help her in his current state, he took the risk of being seen as a human. 

"Alesana." He repeated her name and tapped her cheek. She didn't respond. With a sigh, he rolled her on her back. He saw no injuries and he feared that her state wasn't caused by physical harm. 

After sitting next to her for a while, he shoved his arms under her body and lifted her. He felt anything but comfortable around this place and he wanted to leave. The tower was pulling at him, luring him to climb to the top as well to oversee the world. 

There's nothing in it for me, he tried to convince himself. I've seen the world from a great height many times. 

He knew the legends about Gorghlar, who built strong reinforcements where fearless men found their place. It wasn't their hearts that shut out fear, it was their brain that was convinced of their invincibility. The walls made the men so brave they didn't shrink from sword nor spear, making them a strong enemy. What had gone wrong? Why was this mighty tower nothing but a pile of rocks now? 

Diaval got up. He had never carried a person and she was heavier than expected. The wound in his side was still painful and the thought that all of this wouldn't have happened if Alesana hadn't been so stubborn, made him a bit moody. Although it was also his own fault. If he'd had the courage to tell her who he was, she might have listened to him. Or she would have told him to leave...

The moment he could no longer see the remains of the tower, he lowered Alesana in the grass. The muscles in his arms were burning and he wondered if that was normal for a boy his size or that he was actually a weakling. He sat down next to her and studied her blank face. Was she dreaming? About what? Would he play a role in her dreams? That thought made his cheeks flush, even knowing that he was nothing but a bird in her eyes. 

Should he transform into a bird again? Alesana would surely wonder how she'd ended up here and he didn't want to put her up with even more mysteries. It was anything but easy when there was no one around who could answer your questions and if he was honest, he wanted her to get to know this side of him too, without confessing to her that he was the same creature as her "Raven". 

The sky started to turn dark and with the fading of the light, his concern grew. She was unconscious for a while now. Would she wake up at all? The first signs of panic started to show themselves. 

"Maleficent?" Diaval spoke hopefully. Would she be able to help him again? 

It however stayed silent around him. They were completely alone. 

A movement next to him attracted his attention. She was moving. She reached for her head and opened her eyes. He shrunk backward as he saw her eyes. They were no longer the dull grey he'd gotten used to. Around her pupils were circles now, that moved around and changed colors as if rainbows were wallowing inside them.