1 - Cold and Lonely Dinner

Darkness had fallen. Alesana stared through the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of her father. The pans were already at the table, the plates ready to be filled. Glasses were filled with water and the only thing that was missing was the man of the house.

Four days ago, her father had gone out early to ride to the Moren, together with his comrades-in-arms. Maleficent's shadow was growing and the king had ordered to end it for once and for all.

A few hours ago, the news of the return of the men had spread like wildfire through the village, and also Alesana had caught the words of an excited merchant. Some soldiers had managed to find a way through the seemingly impenetrable wall of thorny plants and thick trunks. They'd found Maleficent and killed her. Finally, the danger had passed.

So why had her father not returned home? If he died, the men would have informed her, right? Leaning against the windowsill, she watched the little lights in the distance belonging to houses where fathers and sons had returned. She envied them, but she tried not to give up. There were countless reasons why her father could be late. Maybe Maleficent had been killed by his hand!

The thought that her father could be a murderer, gave her a strange feeling. Maleficent had been their enemy: the monster had infiltrated the palace to curse the newborn princess! She deserved to die, and yet, she feared that taking someone's life never happened without consequences. It wasn't their call to take lives; it was unnatural and the spirit of humans wasn't equipped to bear a burden like that.

Alesana stepped back from the window, surprised by her bizarre thoughts. There was no reason to assume that it had been her father who had killed the monster. If so, they would have brought her to the palace for a royal banquet, wouldn't they?

. . .

Next morning, Alesana threw away the meal she had prepared for her father. Feeling worried, she scrubbed the pots and put away the unused plate in the cabinets. There was still no sign of him.

Wrapping her cloak around her shoulders, she left the house and went to Maud. Maud was her best friend for years and the girl knew everything about her. Alesana had even told her about the dreams, but Maud was the soberest person she knew. She told Alesana that she wished she could remember her dreams too and that it must be wonderful to see so many things; she considered it as a way to taste of the freedom she sometimes missed.

"Alesana!" Maud smiled at her as she opened the door for her friend. Her smile however disappeared as she saw Alesana's tired face. "What's going on? Come in!" She led her through the hallway and pushed her on the couch. With an earnest face, she sat down across from her.

"My father hasn't returned," she sighed. "Did your father and brother come back?"

Maud nodded. "Roran!" she called out. "Get over here!"

A few moments later, Roran stepped into the room. He nodded awkwardly at Alesana, who studied her hands and felt just as uncomfortable. A few months had passed since their break-up, but they were still searching for a way to behave around each other.

"Alesana's father hasn't returned. Have you heard from him?"

Skittishly, they looked at each other. To her disappointment, Roran shook his head.

"No. But I saw him two days ago." He looked a little lost at her. "But if he died, I would have known."

Alesana turned her face away. "Then where is he?"

"I don't know, Alesana. I really don't know."