3 - Maleficent

Alesana was a little discouraged when she couldn't remember her dream as the sun rays woke her up. Eating an apple as breakfast, she realized she might be out of food before she would find an entrace to the Moren. Heaving a deep sigh, she regretted sending Roran away. The awkwardness between them was still better than the loneliness accompanying her now. Alesana liked being on her own, but she also valued the opinion of others and right now, she could use some advice. 

A week passed by. The thought to give up was plaguing her more and more often. One time, she had already given in, although she changed her mind after an hour. Maybe all she needed to do was to walk a little further to find the entrance...

She wasn't going to give up. Her father's life depended on her persistence. Maybe she should try something else. But what? 

It was midnight when she had a hunch. She had been staring at the moon, listening to the mysterious sounds as she wondered what would happen if she would simply ask the creatures living on the other side of the barrier how to get in. 

"Hey," she said carefully, not knowing if she needed to yell. She didn't like raising her voice. Screaming people always gave her the feeling they lacked self-control. "I know you are there, watching me." It might be naieve, but she believed the creatures would have hurt her if they'd wanted to. "My name is Alesana," she continued when no answer came. The ambient noise had died away, so she knew she wasn't talking to the air. She mustered up all her courage. "I would like to enter the Moren."

For a moment there was a deafening silence, which was soon broken by a rustling in the bushes. The intertwined thorn branches slipped away from each other, creating a path. In relief she breathed in, until someone stepped on the path. Without ever seeing her before, Alesana knew the woman was Maleficent. Alesana had never expected her to look so human and despite the tenacity radiating from the women, she couldn't imagine that this was the monster which was so feared by the king. 

"Maleficent," she spoke humbly. After all, she was a queen and Alesana was about to enter her kingdom. She bowed her head to show her respect, for she dared to bet on her remaining food supplies that she was the first one who wasn't here to look for this woman. 

"What brings you to the gates of my domain?"

"My father disappeared. I am trying to find him."

"And what makes you believe that he would be here?"

In shame, Alesana bent her head. She didn't dare to look the woman in the eye as she answered the question honestly. "He participated in a manhunt for you."

It remained silent. Carefully she looked up and discovered a hint of a smile around Maleficent's full lips. 

"No human with bad intentions has ever set foot on the Moren."

"I know," Alesana muttered. She didn't know what else to say or do. All her life, she had heard that the creatures living in the Moren were ferocious and unmanageable, and that it was impossible to communicate with them. The first creature she however met, didn't look that different from herself and she spoke about Alesana's people as if they were the evildoers. 

Alesana believed her. 

"You are the first one trying to get in without getting violent." Lovingly, Malelifent's hand glided across a thick branch that was covered in thorns. "I will grant your wish and let you in." The woman gave her a severe look. "But take this warning to the heart. The inhabitants of these lands have become embittered and I can't guarantee you a safe passage, nor will I be able to help you. You look trustworthy, but I cannot be certain. I can't risk to be betrayed again, these lands are too dear to me."

"I understand," Alesana said calmly. "I'm on my own here. I chose to do this alone."

For a bit, at least. She had turned the help of her friends down. The other villagers hadn't wanted to help her, but Alesana realized now that it was for the best. In their presence, Maleficent never would have let her in.

"Come along."

Alesana resisted the longing to look over her shoulder to glance one last time at the world she knew. Determined, she walked over to Malificent. Behind her, the immensely high bushes embraced each other again.