15 - Shadows

Shadowy faces stared at her. The contours of their bodies weren't solid but deformed like smeared ink. Not a single mouth was moving which was terrifying. The grey mass of clouds above her head seemed to bulge out as if it was about to give birth to even more dark shapes. The sky was weeping, crying out in its travail. Were it labor pains announcing the arrival of new life, or the cry of desperation of someone who was fighting an inescapable defeat? 

The shadows became lighter as if the sun broke through the clouds and vaporized them. Alesana didn't dare to look up to see what was happening, afraid that the sun rays would also obliterate her face, turning this already terrifying event into her very last memory. 

The whole world lost its color until only a white haze remained. Clouds? She tried to lift her hand, but she couldn't. She was unable to move, she didn't even know if she still possessed a body to move. 

Was she dead? Was this the end everyone refused to talk about? How had she ended up here? And more important: was there a way to leave this place? 

It was a moment in which she was supposed to panic, but there was no stomach shrinking in fear, nor were her lungs craving for oxygen. 

There was Nothing. 

. . .

Fingers raked through her hair. She couldn't see them, but it was the only explanation for the little tugs on her scalp. She opened her eyes. Sunlight greeted her like a warm smile, kissing her skin and scorching the wisps of unease sticking to her skin like cobwebs. 

The sun wasn't her only companion. Two eyes were looking down at her and when Alesana sat up with difficulty, the face moved away from her. 

"Diaval," she whispered as she recognized the young man. His eyes shot to hers before he looked away as if he felt highly uncomfortable. 

"Yes."

Alesana remembered the red shapes she had seen before she had fallen. Had he been one of them, together with Maleficent? She turned around and looked over her shoulder to the large tower. They were several feet away from it, he must have carried her this way. "I fell, didn't I?"

Diaval nodded. 

Alesana tried not to look at the strange coiled lines that were under his skin. It looked like the blood in his veins was frozen. 

"Did you see something?"

Alesana turned her face away. He didn't ask if she had been dreaming; it felt like the world she had seen a glimpse of really existed. It made her stifle. "Not much," she muttered. "It was loveless, dark and cold."

"You're back now."

Alesana nodded quietly. She gazed at the treetops, looking for Raven. She didn't dare to call his name now the boy was with her. He must think she was crazy for talking to birds!

"I never had the chance to thank you for what you did the other day." She was truly grateful, but her voice was laced with worry because she didn't see her loyal friend. Her cheeks flushed as she noticed that he was observing her. What an impression she made—he already had to patch her up twice! It made her feel uncomfortable and she caught herself wishing he would leave. "Why are you following me?" she asked insecurely. "Why didn't Maleficent sent you with me in the first place?"

The young man didn't look at her; he stared at the strip of grass visible between his knees and shrugged his shoulders. His dark, straight hair fell in front of his eyes. 

"I like being on my own. Maleficent lets me know when you need help and then I make sure I'm there for you. It's not my intention to walk in your footsteps, nor to look over your shoulder the whole time. 

Alesana laced her fingers. He must have special powers since he always showed up just in time. Although she duly realized that he used those powers to help her, it still gave her a suffocating feeling. She was taught that magic always had a downside, that it couldn't be used to one's heart's content and that one would ultimately lose its humanity because of it. She wanted nothing to do with it. If that magical source was used for her benefit, would it mean that she had to pay a price, one day?