6 - Lurking Loneliness

It was unbelievable that no men had entered the Moren the past century. Slowly, the beautiful land revealed its secrets. Alesana was overwhelmed by it, sometimes to such an extent that she forgot her goal.

Also now, she had found a beautiful spot atop of a plateau from which water streams fell and formed a deep blue river. Silver birds sailed through the sky, now and then diving down to catch fish.

Alesana sat in the grass and watched the water while the sun warmed her legs, drying the droplets splashing on her skin. She wished there was someone she could talk to. It would have been nice to share this with someone, for she felt so calm. Everything was so breathtaking and peaceful that she suddenly understood why they shunned intruders. But why make an exception for her?

Her eye caught a raven that was hidden between white braches with large, light blue blossoms. Its beady eyes were aimed at her.

"Hey," she smiled, stretching out her arm. "Come closer."

She had spoken the words unintentionally and was duly startled when the bird spread its wings and landed on her arm a moment later. The animal was heavier than expected, and she looked a little shocked at it. Its shiny, black plumage reminded her of the raven that had visited her in her dreams so many times.

"Are you here for me?" she asked softly, her fingers stroking its head and back.

The bird creased softly, but of course, Alesana couldn't make an answer out of it.

"It's beautiful here." Sighing, she continued her monologue. Her glance had glided away from the bird and followed the water stream. "I wish more people could see it. It might temper all this hatred and envy between our lands."

The raven moved,and when she looked aside, she saw it moving its head as if it disagreed with her words.

"Maybe you're right," she admitted. "Some would want to keep it to themselves."

The sky started to turn purple and announced nightfall. "I have to find shelter."

Oddly enough, it didn't feel strange to talk to animals in the Moren. Everything here was different than at home. Therefore, she was barely surprised when the raven flew out and kept floating in the air in front of her, as if it wanted her to follow.

Alesana didn't hesitate for a moment but zigzagged between berry bushes to an overhanging cliff. There, the raven landed on her shoulder. Showing it a grateful smile, she wondered if the raven would stay with her. She hoped so, for she no longer felt lonely.

However, as Alesana bent over her belongings to put on sleepwear, the bird jumped off her shoulder. Spreading its wings, it flew away. Crestfallen, Alesana watched it disappear in the dark of the night.

Had it only been a figment of her imagination? Did her dreams guide her too much? Alesana wasn't entirely sure, but she thought the raven understood the words she'd spoken to it. Hopefully, it would go out hunting and come back after that, for the loneliness filled her heart very fast as if it had been lying in wait to do so.

Alesana wrapped a blanket around herself and rolled up against the sloping wall, hoping someone watched over her. For as beautiful as this woods were; Alesana knew there were also dark creatures living here that had been camouflaged by the slowly nascent beauty but surely had their own shadows to hide in.