22 - Haze of Tears

Alesana had not even recovered from the first bewilderment when the next one overtook her. Before she could utter a horrified cry to warn Raven, who had thrown himself at the stranger in incomprehensible heroism, it was as if a mini-tornado rose from the ground, taking Raven out of sight. Dust swirled around. First, it expanded to knee height, then it shot up to the hip, and then it reached her shoulder.

And then, Diaval stood there all of a sudden. In one fluid motion, he pulled the dagger from the horse man's belt and moved it to his throat. His voice was determined and ice-cold.

Alesana could only stare at him. Were Raven and Diaval the same creature? Had they been with her continuously, albeit always in a different shape? Shakily, she took a step backward. It was too much to take in. Even in the Moren, where strange things happened all the time. But Raven and Diaval... they had been her anchors. The only elements she knew somewhat; that felt familiar. Except for their sudden appearance and disappearance, they had been predictable.

The boy turned his head to the side. His eyes expressed confusion. At first, she thought her own emotions were reflected in them, but then she understood that he was afraid of her reaction. There had been a reason he had not dared to tell her his secret. However, he did not speak a word to her and turned to the horse man. "Who sent you?"

The other snorted belatedly and louder than was usual for a human. "No one sends a Grimm. We choose our own path."

"Then what are you doing here?"

Alesana remained in her place, doubtful. Did she even want to hear? If the Grimm admitted to wanting to kill her, she did not know how she would receive that news.

"Humans are not welcome here. They bring only destruction."

"Oh, and you are not?" Diaval's eyebrows shot up indignantly. "You are known as warriors of doom."

"We maintain the balance. We can't all be weak at heart." The corner of his mouth curled up slightly. "But I have to admit I like human flesh." He licked his lips. 

A shudder went through Alesana. She didn't know whether he was taunting her or meant the words.

"She is not human."

"What?" Alesana asked baffled.

The Grimm's gaze moved across her in wonder. "Can she turn into a bird too?"

"No," Diaval replied gruffly. The point of the dagger still rested against the Grimm's neck. Although Diaval had been holding his arm up for a while, it was not shaking.

"Then what is she?"

The Grimm's dark tone had disappeared. His eyes now gleamed with curiosity.

"I don't know yet," Diaval muttered. "But I am determined to find out."

The Grimm nodded slowly. "I won't kill her."

Alesana shuddered again as Diaval removed the weapon. "Are you taking his word for it?" she whispered nervously.

The boy shrugged. "A Grimm doesn't lie."

Alesana didn't know if she believed that. Were there creatures who could speak but never lied? Could there be? And then again, the Grimm was a creature that wore a skull on its head as if it were a tiara... She tried to believe Diaval, but her trust in him was less than it had ever been. All this time, he had been with her. With every tear she had shed. With every word she had spoken, assuming no one would hear it. She had even undressed carefree, every night. Had he peeped at her then too? Or had he turned his back to her then? Never had she paid attention.

She bit her lip. Tears gathered in her eyes. He could have done so much more for her if he had been honest! He could have looked for her father! Could all ravens take a human form? If so, he could have set up a search for them a long time ago!

Diaval took a step towards her. Through a haze of tears, she saw his worried face. "Are you okay?" he asked softly.

Alesana turned her face away. She did not want him to see her cry again.

"I want you to leave," she whispered. "If you are really convinced that this Grimm won't hurt me."