2 - Hedge of Thorns

Alesana looked over her shoulder as she heard horses' hooves. Clouds of dust accompanied a pitch-black mare, which ground to a halt a moment later.

"Let us come with you, Alesana, please." Maud got down, her eyes pleading. "You can't go alone."

"You can't leave Cynnan," Alesana said. "He loves you and soon, he will ask for your hand."

"But how can I marry him when my best friend won't attend the wedding!" Maud objected.

"A wedding requires a lot of preparation. By then, I will be home, I promise."

"Then take Roran with you," Maud insisted, but Alesana shook her head. They felt too awkward around each other.

"This is something I need to do alone."

"It's not!" Stubbornly, Maud crossed her arms. "The past week you asked almost every soldier for help, except for Roran! He has always been there for you!"

Sighing, Alesana stared into the distance. She'd indeed tried to rustle up a small army, but the men had shaken their heads fearfully.

"I will never go back into that cursed wood," they had said.

"But why? Maleficent is dead, isn't she?" Alesana had asked, where after the men had stared at the floor in silence.

By now, Alesana understood the soldiers had come up with a lie so they didn't have to stay in the Moren any longer.

"I know you've always been there for me, Roran," Alesana sighed, looking up to Maud's brother who sat still on the horse. "And that's why I fear that you will value my safety more than your own, which is the last thing I want. I don't think it's a good idea to do this together. Our break-up is still fresh and it's important to be alert in a place like that." She nodded to the mysterious woods.

"I will be alert," Roran objected, but Alesana shook her head.

"I won't."

And with that, she ended the discussion.

After saying goodbye to Maud and Roran, she decided to set up camp at this side of the barrier. Rolling herself in a blanket, she rested her head on her bag and stared at the stars. A thick hedge of ferocious thorny plants kept the creatures living in the Moren away from her, but the nocturnal sounds floated towards her nonetheless. Now and then she thought to see little lights between the thick branches as if curious eyes were watching her. They reminded her of the soap bubbles she used to dream of and the sight of it made her feel calm as if she had always known that it was her destination to set foot in the feared Moren.

At the break of day, Alesana gathered her belongings, buckling her sword to her belt and hanging her quiver over her shoulder. Contrary to other women in the city, her father had spent years teaching her how to use both weapons, as if he had known a day like this would come. It gave her confidence as if her father's training guaranteed her that he was still alive and waiting for her, in place only she could find.

Alesana walked across the wall of thorns, looking for a way in. She'd heard the thorns were poisonous, causing her to be extra careful.

As the day progressed and the blazing sun made the sweat drops slide down her face, the heat also melted her good spirits away. She was walking for hours, with a bag on her shoulders that started to weigh heavier and heavier. Crestfallen, she dropped down on the ground as dusk fell. Drinking from her canteen, she stared into the distance where the glow of the city was still visible. Would she ever return?

Even though the temperature was higher than yesterday night, the weariness and defeat spread a cold through her body which the remaining warmth of the sun could not withstand. She didn't even have the energy to light a fire; instead, she tried to ignore her painful feet and the persistent cold. Curling up in her blanket, she silently begged the bubbles to show her the way tonight.