7 - Beauty and Filth

Diaval felt relieved as his feet touched the ground, and his wings turned into arms. It took some time to get used to it, but he was quite font of human strength by now. He couldn't stay long in this shape, for Alesana was no longer in sight, and it made him restless. He wanted to stay close to her more than anything, but she needed her privacy especially when changing clothes. One day, she would probably discover that he was part human, and he wanted her to believe that he treated her respectfully.

How would she react? She seemed to respect every living creature, yet, he didn't dare to show his true self to her. He didn't know why she was here on her own. Had she been disappointed by humans? Would she shrink back from him, if he turned out to be human? Or would she feel betrayed if he waited longer and she accidentally found out the truth?

He heaved a deep sigh. He didn't know and decided to let things take their course. He had only been a few hours with her. She might not even expect him to return.

"Did you already notice something special about her?" a whispering voice asked him all of a sudden.

Diaval looked to the side, but Maleficent's eyes were aimed in the distance. Her face showed worries, he realized to his astonishment. Why did she care so much about the girl? After all, she told him she wouldn't offer her any help.

He thought about Maleficent's question. Everything about Alesana was unique. She brought snails to the side of the road. She spoke to animals. She could stare at the water for hours, with a lovely smile on her lips. Flowers spouted when she walked by, sun rays peeked through leaves, reaching places that hadn't seen sunlight in years.

"The forest flourishes in her presence."

The words left his lips with hesitation. He wasn't sure whether it was real or whether he was so impressed by her beauty that everything else was a fantasy. That thought made him feel ashamed, for she was a beautiful young lady and her beauty wasn't outer appearance alone. Yet, he shouldn't allow any hopeful thoughts. He was her protector. That was all.

"Is she really looking for her father?"

The question was unexpected. He hadn't doubted her intentions for a moment, but he couldn't say that her plan of action had been very impressive. He had no idea what thoughts kept her mind busy.

"I don't know. I don't think she was lying."

Maleficent was silent for a while. "Don't let the beauty she brings back to the Moren blind you. Beauty always attracts filth. There is movement at the borders. Forgotten paths are walked upon again, whispering voices establish malevolent conspiracies. Without being aware of it, she set things in motion, and their powers are not inferior to mine."

Her words made him look up in fear. He always believed that Maleficent was the most powerful woman in the Moren. "Who do you speak of?"

"They left a long time ago. Only the gods know why they have returned so suddenly." Her eyes met his. "They have hunters with them, Diaval. Perhaps, their arrival and that of the girl is a twist of fate. I, however, have my doubts."

Diaval thought about her words in silence; then, he transformed into a raven and flew back to Alesana. Relief washed over him as he found her still lying under the overhanging rock, gripped by a deep sleep.