26 - Silver Birds

Diaval and the Grimm carried Roran to a nearby cave. If they resumed their search and something or someone would bump into him and shatter him into thousands of pieces, he would surely be helplessly lost. Alesana took advantage of their absence by taking the Little Wish Fulfiller out of her bag. It crawled into her lap, and Alesana stroked its scaly skin with her fingertips where it was not covered by sharp spines.

"Diaval told me you might be able to help me.

Alesana felt elated as she spoke to the creature. It was crazy because she had been talking to a bird for days. But perhaps she had subconsciously always sensed that Raven was more than an animal.

The Little Wish Fulfiller raised its head. His big eyes stared into hers, and again, heat rose to her forehead. Startled, she turned her head to the side. The last thing she wanted, was turn it into glass as well...

The creature gently bit her pinky and Alesana hesitantly looked back.

Only humans turn into glass.

It wasn't a voice she heard in her head. It was like a tucked-away memory that suddenly resurfaced. The corners of the animal's mouth curved slightly, giving Alesana the feeling that it could smile.

Alesana curled her fingers around the largest spine. A shock went through her, not unpleasant but powerful, so that every fiber of her being seemed to tremble. Her eyelids drooped and she floated above the landscape, following a path that snaked through the forest along a river. Silver birds jumped from branch to branch, chirping a melody that sounded like a laughing child. The path led deep into the mountains, where the world spun around her. She saw a crevice in a high mountain massif, around which silver plants curled. Then the landscape faded until there was nothing but a light gray mist. 

Alesana opened her eyes again.

A warm feeling bulged in her belly and she wrapped her arms around herself. Butterflies seemed to flutter up and down, and she couldn't stop the smile she couldn't explain.

The Little Wish Fulfiller rubbed its head against her arm and then walked back to the bag. Alesana stroked its tail affectionately. He wants to go with me!

She hung her bag over her shoulder and started to search for the two men. She had barely left the place when Raven showed up beside her and changed into his human form. Her cheeks grew warm. Did he keep watch over me?

"And?" His eyes twinkled. Apparently, her face was already showing him that she had found her answer.

"We have to go to a river where silver birds sing. Do you know where that is?"

To her relief, he nodded and gave her a wink. "I know how to find all the birds in this forest."

Alesana smiled gratefully and realized she had never seen Diaval so cheerful. The butterflies that had risen after seeing the vision floated higher so that she could even feel their caresses in her fingers. It's incredible what he does to help me.

"Have you found a safe place for Roran?"

"He won't be found, I'm sure."

Diaval looked at her. Still a little uncomfortable, Alesana turned her face away.

"Don't you ever worry that I'll turn you into glass? Last time, it happened before I could stop it.'

"Rumor has it that it only happens to humans. And I'm not human. I'm just the product of Maleficent's boredom.'

Alesana snapped her head to the side. A hint of a smile was still around his lips, the result of his last words, but it were the first that made her heart leap. "Rumor? What rumor?"

A blush appeared on Diavall's cheeks. He did not look at her.

Her eyes widened in disbelief. "What are you keeping from me?"