Chapter 5

The Dragon was beautiful. It’s ruby pupils stared at Allegretta with vehemence, the eyes seemed to be carved out of it’s thick, shining scales. The wings shimmered blue and gold in the light of the stalactites. It was an older Dragon, Allegretta could tell from its movements and from its size.

            “Stay back!” came Argo’s call, thrusting his sword at the Dragon, “this will be a day engraved in history!”

            What is this boy saying? There is more of my kind; I am not the worst, the Dragon hissed, it’s red eyes glowing in anger, you shall die, puny human boy.

            Allegretta took a step forward, close to the edge of the rocks that she was standing precariously on, “That’s a Dragon, Argo! Not a Fury!” she yelled back, “You’re going to die from a pointless cause!”

            He glanced at Allegretta for one, fateful second, frustration dripping from his brown eyes. In the second, the Dragon was upon him, scratching and clawing at Argo’s beautiful armor. The gold easily surrendered to the Demon’s powerful claws, and blood spurted from his arm.

            Argo’s screams echoed throughout the cavern, making Allegretta wince. She wanted to help, but how could she? What weapon did she have?

            Her hands fumbled around her belt for something, anything. She didn’t want to be the damsel in distress that Argo had to fight for. She already had enough of that from her old life.

            Finally, she found purchase. The chains. The chains that were always there, no matter what she wore; the belt was always placed upon her hips. Giovanni installed them when she was five.

            Without another thought, Allegretta ripped them from her belt, slid down the avalanche of rocks and whipped the chains at the snarling reptile with a loud crack.

            It made no difference. Even though the Dragon was after her, it already was engaged in battle with Argo, who was slashing at it with his good arm, his wounded limb held behind him.

            That’s when the idea burst into her head. She quietly searched her burlap bag for the sack that contained the delicious dust magic. The smell wafted out, making her empty stomach growl in anticipation. She shoved her hand into the sack and pulled out the crumbling substance, throwing it on the chains.

            “Please work, please work, please work!” She whispered impatiently and threw the chain around the Dragon’s neck. As it made its way to its target, Allegretta shrieked, “Seek and strangle!”

            The words just came to her, like when she was speaking with Todas.

            The chain shot towards the Dragon like an arrow and wrapped itself around its neck. Allegretta grabbed the other end of the chain that made its way back to her and pulled with all her might.

            The Dragon let out a roar that shook the mountain. Out of the corner of her eye, Allegretta saw Argo drop his sword and fall to his knees, yelling, “Allegretta!”

            Puny human, the Dragons words whispered in her mind, you are no match for me.

            “I am no human!” She muttered through her gasps, “Do not underestimate me!”

            Allegretta pulled the rope taut and held it there, listening to the gurgling of the Demon. It thrashed and struggled, but it had lost most of its energy in the fight with Argo. She could feel her muscles screaming from the strain; the pain was almost enough to make her pass out. But she was dogged enough to keep going, the though of her friend dying was too much to bear. Images of Giovanni smiling and Todas snarling at her made her go on.