Chapter 15

Allegretta flung herself on the bed the minute a sleepy-eyed Argo opened the wooden door.

“Goodnight. Don’t wake me up until it’s noon tomorrow, or possibly later.” She growled into a pillow.

“That’s unlikely,” was the response.

“Why?”

“Because we have to get out of here as soon as possible and make out way back to the Light of Day.”

“Go die.”

“That’s very unlikely.”

Alli groaned and shrunk into a ball, wishing for the sleep that wouldn’t come. What was wrong with her? She just met a mermaid, and battled off a ton of mutants. Why couldn’t the sandman just sprinkle some of his magical dust and make her fall asleep?

After what seemed like ages, she finally did fall asleep, but no real dream came to her, only a face. A face of a woman with violet eyes that stared into her soul.

Then Argo was shaking her awake.

“Go die,” she repeated.

~~~

“Hey look.”

“What is it?”

“That mountain, it’s where we fought the Dragon.”

“No, it’s not.”

Argo pouted, “What do you mean? It looks just like it!”

“Mountains are pretty much huge rocks. We are no where close to the ‘Dragon Mountain,’ you idiot.” Allegretta explained, pulling out a map and a pastry from her bag.

Argo took hold of the map and stared at it (while he wasn’t looking, Allegretta was putting magic on the pastry, hoping he didn’t notice). “Damn it. You’re right. I hate that.”

“You hate it when I’m right? Stupid.”

“Demon.”

Alli gasped, staring at him, “What? What are you talking about? I’m not a Demon!s“

Argo laughed, “Calm down, girly. It was just an insult. I wasn’t really calling you a Demon. You’re human!” 

She coughed, smiling nervously. “Yep. You’re right.”

They walked on for a couple more miles on the dirt path, dodging stones and such. The trees cast a dark shadow on the ground, chilling Allegretta to the bone as she munched on the fruit pastry. Spese wasn’t very large, but it seemed the minute they stepped out of Iocus the temperature dropped several degrees, and it kept dropping as they went on.

“I have a question,” the Demon said quietly, looking and Argo from the side.

The boy soldier looked at her, an odd smile on his face. “Alright. Spit it out, will ya?”

“Why did the mermaid call you a son of a witch? Is that some new insult I’ve never heard of before?” Allegretta asked, teasingly.

Argo looked away and didn’t say anything for a while, leaving Alli in silence.

They walked a little more. Clouds passed under the sun, making the mood even colder than in already was.

Then he spoke, his face dark and his voice a growl. “It’s because it’s true.”

The world could’ve ended and Allegretta wouldn’t have moved. She had never been more surprised in her life.

“You-You-“ She stammered.