Chapter 6

Later Giovanni went on his way, leaving her with a warning and more information: “Since I am a nice person, I’ll let you keep your magic. I’m going to keep sending you sacks of it. But you won’t be receiving some any time soon, since I’m ending my business with Todas.”

            Allegretta had asked why, and he answered: “because he’s proving not to be trustworthy. It was only recently that he told me about his dealing with the The Argonauts.”

            “But that could be dangerous!” Allegretta had told him, “he might tell them that I’m-“

            Giovanni had interrupted, “there’s no need to worry about that Alli. He understands why I had to end it, and he won’t tell anyone anything. He agreed that it was time for him to stop doing business with anyone, so he’s going to start studying alchemy with a professor in The Light of Day.”

            This all was a lot for Allegretta to handle in one day, so Giovanni had left only a few minutes after.

            Follow Giovanni’s departure, Argo came into her room and sat in the chair next to her bed as the doctor put new bandages on his wounds

            “So how does this all work? Todas knows your caretaker? Why didn’t you just tell me? You wouldn’t have to lie.” He said bitterly.

            Allegretta sighed, “It’s more complicated then you know right now,” she turned her head to one side, “Hey, I’ve a weird question for you since I woke up.”

            Argo looked at her curiously, “Okay. Spit it out.”

            She glared at him, he sounded like Drusilla, “Alright. Why did you speak in an old-sounding way back at the cave?”

            His face turned red in embarrassment, “Oh. Well, when I’m nervous I start speaking like that. Sorry.”

            She waved him away, “Don’t worry about it, I was just wondering.”

            Argo turned away from her when the doctor left and looked at the wooden door that separated them from the rest of the world, “why did he let you stay? I thought you seemed pretty scared that he would drag you back to The Light of Day.”

            “Don’t worry, I talked some sense into him,” Allegretta smiled, “Although it took some convincing. He hated the idea of me helping people who were killing the creatures he spent his whole life researching.”

            Argo turned around and looked at her curiously, “his whole life? Then does he know where the Furies are?”

            Well, the only one is sitting in the bed beside you, Allegretta thought bitterly. She cleared her throat, “No. He doesn’t. I’m sorry, you should’ve asked him when he was here.”

            “Yeah.” Argo agreed, “But the problem was, I couldn’t because of the conversation you and he had.”

            Allegretta leaned her head back onto the bed, “There are some things that you must not hear. You will figure it out in due time.”

            Will he? Do I want him to? She thought.

            “You’ve become so pretentious, Alli. Why not just tell me?” Argo whined.

            She glared at him with her one eye, “Don’t give me that old talk crap, Argo. You aren’t nervous, are you?”

            Argo gulped under her withering gaze, “I’m not nervous!”