Chapter 21

A/N: I'm a terrible person. I know. 

They stayed entwined in each other’s arms (well... Argo’s ‘arm’) for a long time, but it only seemed like seconds when Argo pulled away and rested his forehead on hers. “I love you.”

Allegretta’s eye widened. He said it so easily. 

“I-I-” She stammered. Why couldn’t she say it? What was wrong with her?

Argo looked at her patiently.

“Oh dear,” the Fury whispered and fell to the floor, holding her head in her hands. “Oh no, oh no. I-I don’t- I can’t-”

The brown-eyed boy knelt down next to her and put his arms around her shoulder. “Alli, it’s alright. Calm down.”

“Y-You wouldn’t understand...”

Argo’s voice was sincere, “I can try to.”

Allegretta took a deep breath and looked into his eyes. “It’s not that I- It’s just... I need to get back to the Light of Day.”

She tilted his head up towards hers and kissed him again, this one short, but sweet. “I-I’m going to go to the bathhouse now...”

His cheeks turned a vibrant strawberry red. “S-Sure. Yeah I’m coming.”

They both grabbed two towels and headed out of Argo’s room silently. Allegretta just hoped her eye wasn’t too red.

When they went to the lobby, the Fury made a beeline for the counter when she saw Apple was manning it. 

The maid smiled, “Allegretta! Are you leaving for the public bathhouse?”

“Yes. Could you tell me where to go?”

Apple nodded and took out a sheet of papyrus and a quill. “Here. So follow  main street until you come upon the main gate to the town. There’s a dirt path that you can follow on the right side of the gate which leads off into the hills. The hot spring, or rather, bathhouse, is located only a few miles from that.”

Allegretta took the paper from her and smiled, “Thanks. We’ll be back soon.”

“Good. Try to be back before night falls, there are some creeps who hang out in the town after the sun goes down. There have even been sightings of Harpies.”

The Fury gasped, “Harpies?” 

Unlike Sirens, Harpies bodies weren’t humanoid at all, only their faces, which were supposed to be beautiful. Their body, however, was that of a large bird. They were known for their incredible hunger.

Apple nodded, “Just be careful, and you’ll be fine. You have severals hours, so get going!”

Argo moved forward and held out his left hand, putting the towels on the floor. “I’m Argo. I see that Allegretta already knows you.”

“Apple,” the maid smiled and shook his hand, winking at the younger girl. “Have a nice time you two!”

The two teenagers walked out of the lobby and into the street quickly. As they passed some villagers, whispers flew from one person to the other.

“Who are they? Does that girl have an... Eyepatch?”

“That boy only has half of his arm!”

“Are they Harpies in disguise?”

“Don’t even say that...”

Allegretta growled deep in her throat and tried to go and give those damn villagers a piece of her mind, but Argo reached out his left hand and grabbed hers, his eyes saying ‘leave it’. “Allegretta... Let’s go, there’s nothing we can do. They’re ignorant, and we’re not. Just think of it that way.”