Chapter 16

It felt like hours before Brokk finally came back, and when he did, Allegretta was not happy.

“You have to let me go!” She hissed, grabbing his shirt collar and pulling him forward. “You don’t understand the importance of me staying out with my friend!”

Brokk grimaced and pushed her away. “The Monarchs of the Fairies are coming, and you must make it so they trust you. Please act accordingly.”

The changeling straightened his shirt and looked at the door. Allegretta stood there, confused and annoyed. “Did you not hear me? You have to let me go right now! My caretaker needs me!”

“Giovanni, am I right? The monarchs wish to talk to you about him, and about you. As I said before, act accordingly.”

   Brokk seemed to be in a trance, as if he wasn’t speaking on his own. For a moment, Allegretta found herself stuck, as if she wasn’t able to move. It was most certainly the magic the Fairies were able to conjure up, that tricked the mind and the body.

Then, two bright lights entered the room, flowing through the door. One was a silver color, and one was gold. Brokk made a sweeping bow in front of the two lights. “My darlings. Welcome. This is my fiancé, Alli.”

Fiancé? Who does this kid thinks he is? Allegretta thought murderously.

There was a light twinkling sound and Brokk chuckled. “Of course, my love. I will speak with her.”

He turned to her, “You have to make them trust you, or else they’ll kill you. I don’t want you dead, please, do something good.”

The royal fairies came closer, resting on the changeling’s shoulder and twinkling slightly.

Allegretta snorted, “How can a bunch of lights hurt me?”

“Don’t push it, sweetums.”

The Fury sighed leaned against the wall, brushing a strand of brown hair out of her face. “Fine. What do you want to know about me? There’s not much I can tell you without saying who I really am.”

Brokk smiled, “Well, they do want to know who you really are.”

“So, what do I say?”

“You have a last name, right?”

Alli froze, this time without the use of magic. They wanted to know her last name. They wanted her to let loose sometime she was supposed to keep secret until her deathbed.

Allegretta said, “I can’t do that. It’s too personal.”

The lights started shaking, and Brokk turned pale. “They won’t take no for an answer, my dear Alli. At least tell them your real name.”

That’s easier, for sure. “It’s Allegretta. You know my caretaker, Giovanni, right? Why can’t you just go with that?”

The Demon could now see a nebulous outline of two fairy creatures, one with short, cropped hair, and one with long, straight hair. Sensing a better topic, Allegretta kept going. “Did you know that Giovanni is studying Alchemy right now in the Light of Day? It’s quite interesting. Did you know that Alchemy might not be a lost art? Many of the scholars are studying Demons such as Furies that use-“ she stopped abruptly. She couldn’t keep talking about Furies, or else the Fairies might suspect something.

The monarchs had become more solid as Allegretta spoke. There was a twinkling sound again, and Brokk spoke up. “Tell them your full name please.”

That’s when Alli saw the knife that was strapped to his side. Was he their personal murderer? Where the hell was Argo?

Wait, she thought, he’s a damn human, and I’m a Fury. Why am I so scared?