Chapter 7

“Alli!” A voice sang, “We should get going, can I come in?”

Allegretta sucked in a breath, “No! I’m changing!”

 The doctor had thrown in the some clothes that would be nice to travel in during the summer. Argo had mentioned that they were adventuring farther south for the next few months, and he mentioned they would have to be ready for steamy temperatures.

After changing, Allegretta made her way to the training room to find Argo patiently awaiting her.

He smiled and waved her over, “Hey Alli, took you long enough! Wilkin says we should make our way to the south coast first,” he winked. “Maybe we’ll see a mermaid.”

            Allegretta resisted the urge to slap him. Mermaids were known to be beautiful creatures that roamed the coasts of southern Spese. Men-or in this case, boys-often made jokes about them, since they were often thought of as vulgar by the woman of the land.

            Suddenly, Argo unsheathed his sword and pointed it straight at her. Allegretta jumped in surprise, “Huh?”

            He muttered, “You’ve got to be ready. There are people who want us dead, Allegretta. People who don’t believe in our cause,” he lowered his sword. “They think Furies should live like humans. They think they’re like us, but they’re wrong.”

            Allegretta flinched at his sudden change of mood. He was acting like her, for some reason.

            Argo sighed and let his sword clatter to the floor, “I’m sorry. I don’t know what came over me, I just had this terrible dream last night,” he touched his forehead with his pointer finger. “This dream that was almost a… Memory. I can’t explain it that well.” He glanced over at her, “But why am I telling you this? You probably don’t care.”

            She looked at him, surprised, “Of course I care. You’re my best friend Argo.”

            He turned to look at her, a sort a sadness reigning on his face. It was much different from the usual happy expressions that she almost always saw on him, “Ah. Thank you.”

            She was confused now. What has she done worth thanking?

            “Oh look! It’s my two favorite patients, finally healed.” Doctor Wilkin strolled into the room, his worn, dark brown doctor’s coat flying out behind him.

            Allegretta touched her eye patch, “not quite doctor.”

            He waved her away, laughing, “Well, I suppose you’re right.” He spotted Argo, looking at the floor. “Why so glum, mister Argo? Have you not yet mastered the art of the blade using your left hand?”

            Argo looked up, a strained smile on his face, “Oh no, that’s not it. I was just thinking about a dream I had last night.”

            “If that’s all, then jolly good! Shall we prepare you for your leave?” Wilkin exclaimed. Allegretta glanced at Argo, who was massaging the lump that used to be his arm thoughtfully, and nodded.

            After a quick breakfast of ham and a salad that consisted of a weird fruit Allegretta had never seen before (and trying to be inconspicuous while sprinkling the minimum amount of magic), they left the hospital.

Rain et Snow was having an uncommon dry spell that had lasted throughout their stay. So when Allegretta and Argo opened the door that led out of the clinic, bright sunshine and bustling crowds greeted them.