Chapter 2

Giovanni’s eyes followed the boy all throughout dinner, conspicuously sprinkling magic onto Allegretta’s potatoes and chicken. Argo didn’t notice, thankfully, since he was talking throughout the meal, telling them about Furies. Giovanni looked like he was about to burst from anger every time Argo mentioned Furies and how they like to kill people.

Finally, Giovanni couldn’t stand it anymore. He slammed his hands down on the table, breathing heavily, and stormed out of the room, leaving Argo and Allegretta alone.

An uncomfortable silence followed, interrupted only when Argo cleared his throat, “did I say something?”

You have no idea.

Allegretta scratched her fork against her plate, making a terrible sound that reverberated against the walls of the apartment.

Argo covered his ears and glared at her, “what was that about?”

She looked up, startled. For a moment she had forgotten he was there, “I’m sorry. It’s a habit I have when I’m stressed.”

He grimaced slightly, “That’s a bad habit,” his frown melted into gap-toothed smile, “delicious dinner though. Thank you. I believe I will retire.”

And then he was gone, up the stairs to the guest bedroom next to Giovanni’s room.

It was quiet in the apartment, with the occasional rustling of the trees outside. Allegretta couldn’t stand the silence, this was usually the time when Giovanni was reading to her, or when they were arguing.

After scratching her plate a few more times, she threw her it into the dirty sink with a loud clatter and made her way upstairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Allegretta couldn’t sleep. No matter which way she turned, the discomfort in her stomach wouldn’t go away. The thought of another person, another boy in the apartment, made her uncomfortable.

The distress in her gut grew whenever she thought about Argo. She had only known him for a few hours, but still. The thought of him breathing, smiling, sleeping a few rooms over freaked her out. Giovanni used to be the only boy she ever knew, but that was before Argo.

 It was amazing. Everything sharper to Allegretta, even in the dark of night with the moon shining into her room

How sweet the moon in a severed sky

Allegretta couldn’t take it anymore. She needed to go to her special place.

Slowly, she got up, draping a wool robe over her shoulders.

Allegretta knew everything about this shack-on-shack apartment. She knew every nook and cranny, every stair that squeaked. So it was easy to get to the stairs that led up to the roof.

The roof was Allegretta’s favorite place to think. The stairs led up to a door that opened into the sky. The slates were slanted down, which made it easy for her to slip and fall due to her clumsiness. Allegretta leaned on the railing, staring into the slivered moon and the sparkling stars. Immediately, she started thinking about Argo again, so she filled her head with song.

How sweet the moon, in a severed sky

How sweet the laughter in a child’s eye

How sweet your smile in the endless rain

How sweet the footsteps that brings no gain

The next verse was different, having a gloomier aspect to it, talking about the times before magic had taken over Spese