Chapter 20

A/N: you might enjoy the outcome of this chapter... 

btw 'cakecream's' are a Spessian candy. Okay bye.

He bought her a book. Not just any book, a book to write in. After breakfast, Argo decided to drag Allegretta to a shop right next to the inn, even though her clothes were still damp. There, her eyes fell on one thing, and one thing only.

A journal.

None of the other things interested her. Who would want to buy a map of Spese so large it could never fit in your pocket? Argo had told her it was for a wall, but why would someone buy a map that wasn’t for carrying around?

The journal wasn’t very large, it was just about the size of her hand, and was jet black with blue lines the color of the sea by Oceanus. 

Oceanus. Allegretta remembered the sad eyes of Blue, just for a moment, and then the beautiful girl was out of her head in a flash.

“You like that book, eh?” Argo’s voice shook the Fury out of her reverie. 

Allegretta flipped through the pages aimlessly, staring at the yellowed papyrus. “Yeah. I guess so, I haven’t really written anything except letters in a while.”

He made no hesitation, “I’m buying it for you.”

She whipped her head around, amazed. “What? Why?”

“Because you want it, and it’s a gift for being such a great partner these past weeks.” Argo said sincerely.

“O-Oh. Sure. Thanks, boy soldier.”

“My pleasure, madam.”

Allegretta blushed and looked away from his dark brown eyes as he snatched it out of her hands. In the past few days, it seemed like there was a light to him that Alli had never seen before. Almost like the loneliness she had seen the first time they met in the pub with Giovanni was gone.

What had changed so drastically since then?

It struck like a blow to the chest. The reason Argo was smiling more often, the reason he was being nicer and less arrogant was because of a Demon.

 It was because of her.

He was back soon enough, with the journal tuck in the crook of his arm. “You don’t have to pay for anything, but for one condition.”

“Name it,” Allegretta was feeling extremely generous with her recent discovery.

“I get to write something in it first.”

She was surprised, “That’s fine, but you’ll have to find a quill and ink, I haven’t got any.”

Argo held up a woven basket with his left hand. “Got it covered.”

Allegretta laughed and slung an arm over his shoulder. “I should’ve known, you always think of things ahead of when they happen!”

“Funny, I didn’t think I would find a new friend at the fair of Light.”

Bam, another blow to the chest.

“You shouldn’t say things like that, they make me feel all flustered.” Alli chastised. 

Argo peeled himself away so he could face her. “That’s my job!”

He looked over her shoulder for a second and murmured quietly, “Who’s that creep staring at us?”

Allegretta spun around to see the brown eyes of the man who was in her room only a few hours ago. He was smiling again, showing rows of sharp-looking teeth.