Chapter 3

The next day, as the golden rays of the sun embraced Barawa, its people gathered somberly after finishing their morning chores and contributions. It was a time-honored custom that they had come to dread—the coordination of burial rites for the deceased. The deadly Cilomina virus had claimed yet more lives, and the pain of loss weighed heavily on their hearts.

To prevent further contagion, the tradition was to bury the departed immediately, with simplicity and restraint in the ceremony.

While everyone busied themselves to honor their dead, the Sultan sought a moment of privacy with Dr. Adler.

As they retreated to a quiet corner away from the grieving crowd, the Sultan's worry and frustration were evident. "Doctor, this is baffling," he expressed with a deep furrowed brow. "Five more children have succumbed to the illness in the past week alone. How did we reach this point?"

Dr. Adler sighed, the weight of the situation heavy on his shoulders. "Sultan, I'm doing everything in my power to find a cure," he replied, a hint of weariness in his voice. "But viruses like Cilomina are complex, and finding a solution is not easy. I need more time and resources to make significant progress."

"Why is it so difficult to cure this illness? Aren't you an expert?" The Sultan's expression betrayed a mix of impatience and desperation.

Dr. Adler hesitated a while before answering. If only they could see how hard he worked day and night silently and restlessly to find the cure. The circles under his eyes were evident, but his hard work was overlooked and unappreciated because of the urgent need for a cure.

"I am, but this virus is unlike any we've encountered before," Dr. Adler explained earnestly. "It seems to defy conventional explanations. We need to look at other possibilities, other angles."

The Sultan's frustration was understandable. The people of Barawa were suffering, and they needed hope, a glimmer of light in the darkness. Dr. Adler knew that time was of the essence, but he also understood the complexity of the task at hand.

"Our council is putting immense pressure on me to produce results," the Sultan continued, his tone a mix of desperation and concern. "They are on the brink of deciding to turn Barawa into an experimenting zone. They think it's the only way to save our people."

"I understand their urgency, but rushing into drastic measures won't guarantee success," Dr. Adler said firmly. "We need to be methodical, patient, and work together as a community. The fear and urgency cloud our judgment."

The Sultan paused, his gaze locked with Dr. Adler's. "I'm afraid, Doctor. Afraid for my people, my family," he admitted with a heavy sigh. "I don't know how much longer I can dissuade them from taking extreme measures."

"I am doing my best." Dr. Adler reiterated, trying to convey the extent of his efforts.

"If that's true, why haven't you come up with a cure yet?" The Sultan's accusatory stare made Dr. Adler feel the weight of the village's expectations bearing down on him.

"I've been able to develop a tincture to slow down the process and ease the symptoms," Dr. Adler explained, trying to emphasize the value of his current work.

"If we were to find a cure, we could make Barawa what it once was, even wealthier," the Sultan mused, his thoughts drifting towards the potential prosperity that a cure could bring.

"I'm not close to that yet. I'm still testing if the tincture can help with immunity, and that could take months, weeks at best," Dr. Adler replied cautiously, aware of the mounting impatience.

"If anyone can do this, you can. The fact that you haven't found the cure yet makes me question if there is hope for the people still alive," the Sultan voiced his concerns, his frustration palpable.