Chapter 22

Heading back, Alyssa went down the long way to distract herself and saw Tinker and Calipso standing close to one another and murmuring. They were too comfortably close on top of a stairwell. It suddenly enraged her internally, how could Tinker make time to talk to someone she just met so comfortably and who clearly hates her best friend? She felt betrayed. Tinker couldn't keep avoiding her, they were like sisters. Turning towards them, she went up the stairs, her mind debating whether or not to disturb them, but she was desperate to talk to Tinker. 

Clearing her throat as she reached the top, she drew their attention. Both turned to her and changed their expressions as if their brows weren't wrinkled before.

"Alyssa!" Tinker exclaimed and hugged her. 

"Alyssa, my my. That bump does look swell on you." She had been avoiding Calypso ever since that night. Hearing her talk made her cringe. 

She nodded in response. "It does with you too. I'm glad Ambrose helped you with that."

"Are the young ones giving you any trouble?"

She rolled her eyes internally at how she was making conversation. All she wanted to do was ignore her. 

"They're alright. Just getting used to my body feeling heavier all of a sudden, you know?"

"Have you gone in the mother's healing pool yet? It will heal your discomfort." Alyssa was confused at how suddenly Calypso was giving her tips for her wellbeing. 

"Does Boman know you've been feeling like this?" Tinker raised her brow.

"I uh. Well, not really. I've been busy lately."

"Stress makes pregnancies difficult. You really should go to the pool with Boman and get some rest." Calypso got closer to her. "You should let him take you."

"Yes! Bonded take each other there, they go in together. You both connect to your babies in a whole different way. It's truly magical." Tinker added with a light smile. 

"I'll have to talk to him about that then. We haven't brought it up yet."

Tinker pursed her lips. "You really should do that as soon as possible though."

She didn't realize she was in uncharted territory with this pregnancy, and she'd been focusing on other things rather than the most important thing right now. Her babies... She suddenly felt bad about it. Or were they trying to get rid of her by making her feel guilty with this? 

"Tinker, can we talk?"

Tinker looked up. She couldn't quite make out her reaction. 

"It's not a good time, Alyssa. I have some things to talk about with Calypso."

"Please? It's important."

Alyssa grabbed Tinker's hand, and Desmond grabbed her. She didn't even feel his presence there until he touched her. 

"Did you not listen to what she said?" His facial expressions were hard. She could tell he wasn't pleased. 

"I just need a few minutes with her." She gently removed his hand from her arm and grabbed Tinker.

He shook his head and was about to start to speak, but Calypso intervened, rubbing her belly. "She isn't an obedient one like she is." She gestured to Tinker, then turned back to Alyssa. "Walk away. You can talk to your friend in due time."

Alyssa didn't like this at all, and from what she could make out from her last conversation with Tinker, she started to put some of the puzzle pieces together. Desmond held Tinker back. With the amount of force he used, Alyssa lost her grip. Falling down the long stairs and ending at the bottom unconscious. 

Tinker screamed, and everyone rushed to the bottom of the stairwell. 

Desmond picked her up and rushed her to the infirmary so Ada could work on healing her. 

Boman came in through the door enraged. Desmond was about to talk, but Boman pushed him against the wall. "How could you both be so fucking reckless!"

"Boman, stop!" Calypso tried to stop him, but he pinned her against a wall with a firm grip on her neck. 

"I watched the whole thing unfold in the cameras. You're the reason this is happening." 

Desmond grabbed him, and they both destroyed the infirmary's lobby. 

Ada came out and yelled. "STOP!" 

Calypso pushed Boman off Desmond, and everyone turned to Ada as she shouted to get their attention. "This is our sacred place, and you're making a mess of it!"

They stood shocked without an answer knowing she was right. 

"We only have ONE infirmary until we get to Helios!"

"Sorry," Desmond mumbled and got up along with Boman. 

"Everyone who is not Boman, get out!" Everyone headed outside. "Bring someone to clean this mess up while you are at it!"

"How are they?"

"We need to take her to the mother's healing pool. I have some of my healer nurses in there with her getting her ready."

Boman knew what that meant. They were dying. He punched a wall, and the last of the lobby crumbled. 

"Boman!" Ada turned him around and grabbed him by his sides. 

"I haven't taken her there yet." His expression showed regret. 

"That's one of the first things we were taught about this process! I've already bathed more than ten times on it for my own pregnancy!"

"I've been busy with our fleets and my plans. We've had too many arguments and too much has happened. I thought I'd have time I didn't think this would happen."

"It was imperative you did this before, the waters needed to sync with her body and the babies for this to work!"

"She's been distant and I hadn't been able to get around it dealing with so much shit. Everyone expects everything from me here. I have to deal with a lot alone."

"Listen. There isn't much time but there is one thing you have to know about this. We might lose one of the babies." 

"No. We cant Ada do whatever you have to fucking do. I don't want to lose even one of them."

"You should have thought of that when you put off going to the pool!"

"What if we do a force bind?"

"That could kill her." She opened her eyes wide. 

"I'm willing to risk it. It would save them both."

"You're truly willing to risk her?" She glared, confirming his approval. 

"If it comes down to choosing between them and her at the last minute I would."

"She could produce more."

He shook his head. "I've been watching her. She's close to discovering the truth. I'm not letting her get in my way. Not anyone, ever."

"Then. We have to go now."