Chapter 13

Alyssa sat down to compile the list of every woman interviewed and signed their initial contract and went over all the signed documents when Tinker came in with a cup of tea and slid it across the desk to her. 

"Thanks, I needed this."

"Sorry, it's not my famous hibiscus sweet tea you love." 

"It's still something. I'm grateful."

"We should take a break. Do you want to eat something?"

"Sure. But we need to give this to the governor first."

Both Alyssa and Tinker headed off to the governor's office and knocked on the door. 

"How many have we enlisted?"

"We have a little over a thousand women with a signed contract."

"Shit. I thought we'd have more."

"I'm sure more will come. I released another broadcast."

"Did they all understand what we need them to do?"

"I explained as much as I could and there is an orientation scheduled, so if they come here then yes, they all agreed to it." 

"Alright, give me the papers. I need to get this to them." 

Alyssa looked at the documents in her hand and was hesitant about this. She kept wondering if this was the right thing to do, but at this point, there was no viable solution to Earth's problem. Everyone owed it to Earth and to what was left to save of the human race.

"Well?"

The governor took the documents by force as Alyssa didn't move and scanned the list into the computer. 

"I need to call them. Do you want to meet them?"

"Not yet."

"Suit yourself."

Suddenly a call popped in on the governor's screen, and he answers it. Boman's face pops up on the screen. 

"We need more than a thousand women governor."

"This is what we could get in a day, but we're working hard to find more."

"Work harder. We are just an axis away."

"And that is?"

"Eight Earth hours."

"I'm on my way with a couple of thousand men to begin."

"I've told you that we need more time."

"I'm afraid time is running out."

"What do you mean by that?" Alyssa makes herself visible to the video on the screen. 

Bomani looked at her, amused. 

"The faster we get this over with, the better, don't you think so?"

"Why?" She looked at the governor, questioning this piece of information he left out. 

"Don't give me that look. I don't know what he's talking about." He turned to look at Boman. 

"Actually, no. You need to give us the cure first, so it's not going to be over with that fast at all." Alyssa said. 

"Actually, now that you mention that. That will come between you and me." There was a glint in his eyes as he looked at her.

She turned to the governor. "Seriously?"

The governor had the decency to look uncomfortable. "This wasn't the way to tell her."

"Why the hell do you still keep information like this? We're supposed to be a team."

"He liked you since he saw your picture in the database. I told him you were head of the project and were the first one to enlist."

"How could you not tell me this before?"

"You don't get to choose who you will wed. We do. We will wed on our way back to Helios." Boman interrupts. 

"No, I need to meet you first and get comfortable with you."

"We don't have time for that. Can you calm yourself, woman? I wasn't talking about that yet. Although I do appreciate the eagerness on this subject." 

"Oh God." She rolled her eyes at him. "Then what?"

"I meant the cleansing."

"On Earth? But, there are people all over the world that we still need to reach!"

"You don't know what you are all dealing with, do you? This virus isn't just killing you humans, it's killing the Earth too. The longer you wait, the lesser the chance you have to save it."

"Then we have to alert everyone that if they don't leave with us, they will die!" Alyssa urged.

Boman looked at her face filled with concern and showed emotion. "We don't plan to leave anyone behind. Earth will need as many habitants as possible for when you go back."

"I don't know what to expect from you."

"Do you think we're that cruel?"

"I don't know. You basically are asking for us to be your sex slaves."

"Woman, if you don't want me to fuck you into respecting me, do not disrespect me." 

This made her shiver, but she didn't know if it was out of fear or something else yet. She then gritted her teeth and spoke while still biting hard. "We won't leave anyone alive here to die, is that clear?"

"I will have scout ships searching all your countries for all remaining survivors when we get there."

"Do we have your word?"

"We're facing extinction and helping each other. I have a hundred ships behind me. We will scout all earth for survivors before we leave. We won't leave anyone behind even if we have to force them in. You have my word." 

"You should have told us we had more time."

"We didn't plan this. We should have been there many axis circles ago, which is time we had, but our trip got delayed with humans taking too long to decide and entering your Milkyway's gravity."

"And you couldn't bother to tell us?" 

"I have many ships in my command here. We were in a worm hole. We couldn't communicate even if we wanted to."

"The governor and Alyssa looked confused." Boman understood they didn't know what he meant.

"To cross galaxies at light speed, you need to pass through a worm hole. These worm holes are tight little vacuums in another dimension where you are cut off from reality."

"Sir, we lost communication with one of our ships." They heard a voice in Boman's background. 

"I have to go."

"But wait!" Alyssa yelped. 

"I can't. See you soon, wife." As he said that, the screen turned off. 

The governor turned to Alyssa and Tinker.

"Sir, we have a lot of explaining to do. You owe it to the world, to our country. We are telling everyone the truth."

"We don't have time for this. Everyone will find out when they get here."

"No!" She bangs his desk and grabbed onto his suit. "This lack of communication will stop now! No more bullshit from you, or I swear to God."

"Alright! Alright!"

"Great, so we go together." She released him and waited for him to stand. "After you, sir."

Collidedजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें