Chapter 6

"So where to first?" Daniella asked walking down the hall, Lotus walking beside her.

"I don't know," Lotus answered, looking up at the paintings that lined the wall.

      The two of them wandered the down the hall another few feet before coming up to Daniella's bedroom. Daniella opened the door and invited Lotus to join her. Slightly deflated, she flopped onto her bed with a sigh. Lotus looked around the room before she joined Daniella on the bed.

"So, what do you normally do for fun?" Lotus asked.

"Normally, I pester my brother until we do something fun. Like videogames or walking around in the village by our father's monastery," Daniella answered, staring at the ceiling.

"I don't know what videogames are, but I think there is a village near by," Lotus suggested, pointing her muzzle towards the door.

"Maybe some fresh air will clear my head," Daniella thought out loud. Lotus purred in excitement as she bounced off the bed. Daniella smiled as she followed.

      They quickly made their way down the hall, following the endless hallways until they came to a stop. They looked at the endless portraits before looking at each other.

"You don't know where we are, do you?" Daniella asked the dragon next to her.

"Nope. I guess you don't either, do you?" Lotus asked her.

"Nope," Daniella answered. They looked around the hall before looking back at each other. Daniella gripped the edges of her sleeves as she tried to think of what to do. She looked back to where they had come from and then ahead of them and let out a frustrated sigh. Lotus looked up at Daniella before nudging her leg.

"I'm sure we'll find a way. Maybe your grandmother can help!" Lotus suggested.

"She could. But how would she know where to find us?" Daniella asked, looking down at Lotus.

"I could teach you how to find people in the Library. It is connected to you," her grandmother answered, standing in front of them. Daniella jumped back in surprise and Lotus jumped into Daniella's arms.

"Hi," Daniella greeted breathlessly.

"How did you do that?" Lotus asked.

"I'm a ghost. I can appear and disappear with ease," she answered.

"I am interested in learning how you knew where we were, but maybe later. I was wondering where the front door would be. I want to see the village that surrounds the Library. I want to get to know the people that I have to protect," Daniella said, letting Lotus jump down to the ground.

"The door to the outside is just past this corner. A word of warning do not leave the village. Your powers are like a beacon, the demons will sense the new powers within you. The village is protected from demons and you should be protected," Lao Lao warned. Daniella nodded as Lotus tilted her head.

"Are we trapped in the village forever?" Lotus asked.

"Of course not. When you have a grasp on your powers and you are ready to tend to your duties, you are free to come and go as you please. But the demons know fresh blood. They will kill you both before you are ready to face the Empress. If that were to happen, I fear that she will win."

Lotus gulped as she took a step back. Daniella folded her hands and tried to calm herself. Her world was being turning upside down every five minutes with new information. She was ready for a break.

"We won't leave the village," Daniella promised, bowing her head slightly. Her grandmother returned the small bow before disappearing. Daniella took a deep breath before walking towards the door, Lotus hot on her heels.

***

      Daniella and Lotus left the Library, amazed at the village that laid before them. Hundreds of building within the walls of the village, all in perfect harmony. Daniella grinned to herself as she walked past the first buildings. She took in all the sights and smells. She had never been in a village this lively. Both humans and Serpentine living together; no wars, no separation, no fear of one another.

      Lotus trotted beside her, sniffing the air, drinking in the smells. Neither one paying attention to where they were going, or whom they walked into. Daniella collided into someone, knocking both to the ground.

"I am so sorry!" Daniella apologized, standing up before offering to help the Serpentine up.

"It is alright. I wasn't looking either," the Serpentine replied, taking Daniella's hand and standing up.

"My name is Daniella and this is Lotus. We're kinda new here," Daniella introduced, motioning to herself and the dragon that was now on her shoulders.

"Hi!" Lotus chimed in, beaming.

"You are the new Purple Ninja?" she asked, eyes widening.

"Word gets out fast, doesn't it?" Daniella asked, blushing.

"I am sorry. Where are my manners? My name is Ozir, daughter of the Dreampyre chief. I was actually on my way to meet you. I am to be your assistant," Ozir introduced herself, bowing slightly.

"Oh, I couldn't possibly ask that of you. I don't even know how to do my job now, let alone give directions to others. And besides, isn't there something else that you would rather be doing?" Daniella asked, blushing harder.

"It is no trouble at all. It is my duty, I volunteered for the position. The village provides aid to the Great Library and the Purple Ninja in return for the Library's protection," Ozir replied. Daniella looked around at the people who continued to go about their day.

"I see. Fair warning, I've never had an assistant. To be honest, I'm normally the one acting as an assistant, so this may not start off smoothly," Daniella warned.

"My service is in your hands. No matter how bumpy," Ozir replied, bowing again. Daniella grinned nervously.

"Do you have to do that?"

"Do what?"

"Bow like I am royalty. I am just a person, like you. I don't deserve this level of respect. Please," Daniella asked, holding up her hands.

"But you are the Purple Ninja. You are destined for great things. How could you not revel in the praise?" Ozir asked, clearly confused.

"Where have I heard that before?" she muttered to herself.

"I appreciate the gesture, I do. But I would rather you treat me like a friend, then royalty," Daniella said, offering a hand. Ozir looked down and shook her hand.

"Very well. What would you like to see first?" Ozir asked with a grin.