Chapter 9

"You did what?" Wu asked, nearly choking on his tea.

"You heard me," Garmadon answered, calming pouring himself a cup.

"She isn't ready!" Wu argued.

"Yes, she is," Garmadon retorted.

"How could you send her on a mission like that?" Wu pressed, slamming his cup down on the table.

"The same way you sent both my children to fight the Overlord as well as myself," Garmadon replied, silently challenging Wu to say what he had been thinking. That Garmadon didn't know his own children.

"Do you remember the wounds Mother used to come home with? The horrible tales that she had to share?"

"Yes Brother, I remember them vividly. I also remember that we were safer because of it."

"But she is just a little girl," Wu argued.

"She is quite older than when she started. And you didn't seem to mind when you were training her at such a young age," Garmadon retorted.

"I-" Wu started, but nothing came after that. There was nothing to say, Garmadon was right. Daniella wasn't the little girl that had come to his monastery long ago; she had grown up, even if it was a little too fast for his liking, and she could handle herself.

"I know how you must be feeling, but she is ready. And the realms need her," Garmadon said, taking another sip of his tea.

"But what about the others?" Wu asked, "What do we tell them?"

"PIXAL, you and I are the only ones who know exactly what is going on and where Daniella is going. And that is how it needs to stay, unless something happens. But if it comes to the point that the ninja need to know, Daniella will have to be the one to tell them. As far as anyone else is concerned, Daniella went on a quest to clear her mind."

"But brother, they deserve to know. And what about Misako?" Wu argued.

"You know the life of the Purple Ninja is better kept as a secret for as long as possible," Garmadon retorted, setting his cup down. Wu sighed.

"You're right. For now, the ninja can think that this quest has something to do with dragons. It should be enough to explain any extensive injuries that she will have in the future," Wu compromised. Garmadon nodded in agreement.

"But what about her mother? What do we tell Misako?" Wu asked.

"The same thing that we tell the Ninja. No one is to know where she actually went and what she actually does," Garmadon answered, his face grim. It was Wu's turn to nod in agreement.

      It wasn't the first time that Wu did not exactly agree with his brother's decision. However, this was not a subject that Wu felt needed to be argued over. Not only would this be an argument that no one would win, it would be hard to hide from the others. Wu had to remind himself that Daniella was his daughter and he knew more about what she was getting into than he did. Their mother confided in Garmadon more than she had with Wu, thinking that Garmadon was the one to inherit the mantel.

      Wu sighed as he let his gaze wander out the window. This was going to be hard for himself, keeping it from the Ninja and Misako. He could only imagine how hard it would be for Daniella. He knew that the road ahead of her was a long and difficult one, and one that would be even more difficult if she was to bare it alone.