Chapter 18

Daniella walked up to the door of the small building in front of her and took in the sight before her. A massive banner hung above the door in a language she didn't know, but one that seemed familiar. She noticed the lanterns and decided that this was a shrine of some kind. She looked at the door handles and took in the beauty of the yin yang symbol. Both side necessary to keep the cold air out of the shrine.

      She gently took the white handle in one hand and pushed the door open quietly. She stepped inside and eased the door shut to keep it from slamming. Daniella turned and slowly swept her gaze across the room. In front of her was the entrance to a long hallway that led to another room further into the mountain side, but what caught her eye was the many names and portraits that lined the walls. She slowly walked down the hall, taking in what she was seeing.

      This had to be a shrine to the Purple Ninja's before her. The ones that were destined to protect the realms, just as she was. She thought back to all the journals that she had seen earlier and took in a new appreciation for the knowledge that they had passed down to her; knowledge that had to be learned the hard way. She continued down the hall until she came to the end of the shrine, a table up against the wall with a portrait of a young woman in hanging above. She leaned forward and read the name on the frame.

"Liu Garmadon?" she whispered to herself.

"Now there is a name that I have not heard in a long time," a voice called from behind her. Daniella spun around quickly to see her grandmother standing behind her.

"I'm sorry. I'm sure I'm trespassing. I was just curious, and I needed some air. I'll go," Daniella rambled as she tried to scoot past her grandmother's ghost.

"You aren't trespassing. You have every right to be here, just like in the Library," Liu eased. Daniella watched as her grandmother's gaze went from her to the portrait of herself. Liu shook her head as she cleared memories from decades past and turned back to her granddaughter.

"I sense that there is something bothering you."

"Why do I have to stay here?" Daniella whispered, looking at the stones beneath her feet. Liu's expressions softened as she floated down into a kneeling position.

"It is to keep you and everyone else safe. If you are here, then you can react a lot quicker to disasters from even the most distant realms as this realm is in the center of them all. The Library is where all the messages for help come to. It would take precious hours for messages to be directed from here to Ninjago. And you are the safest here. There are warding that have been protecting the Great Library since the dawn of it's existence. There is no better place for you than here," Liu explained gently.

"But I don't want to live here. Everyone else is in Ninjago. You lived in Ninjago, you traveled back and forth, why can't I?" Daniella asked as tears fell down her cheeks.

"Daniella, you have more power than even I did. You are a beacon for demons from your last name alone. Your powers only amplify this. You have to live here for your safety and the safety of your family and friends. I'm sure they'll understand."

"That's the thing! They don't know where I am! Dad and PIXAL are the only ones who know, and they won't tell anyone. I miss them so much. And I want to go home!"

"But you could put them at risk," Liu started.

"Then show me how to hide myself. Show me how I can go back and forth. I can make it work, but please don't make me stay here forever," Daniella begged, tears streaming from her face.

      Liu took in the sight and considered the options. Daniella needed to learn how to control her powers and how to protect the realms from The Empress and her minions. But she also knew that Daniella would turn this life away if it came between her and her family. She knew first hand how it felt to be torn between duties and family. It had nearly been her downfall. She took another look at Daniella before sighing.

"There are a few things that you can do. But it may be several weeks before you can return to Ninjago," Liu said as she stood up.

"Really? Thank you, thank you! I can stay for that long. Just help me get back to them," Daniella thanked as she stood up quickly and clasped her hands together. Liu smiled as she turned to the door of the Shrine.

"Our first lesson begins in an hour."