Chapter 17

Daniella took another sip of her coffee before bouncing right into more questions. They flew from her mouth faster than she could think. It was almost as if she was possessed by lightning.

"Okay, so what is the best part about being a Dreampyre?" Daniella asked.

"The best part? I guess I would say the best part is helping people navigate through their dreams. People tend to hold on to the things that hurt them the most, and a Dreampyre's job is to help them let go. The realm of Dreams is the safest place to do so," Ozir answered.

"Realm of Dreams? I didn't know there was another realm," Daniella commented.

"Oh no. I misspoke. Amongst the tribe of the Dreampyre, it is called the Realm of Dreams. It is your self conscious. It is the place inside your mind where you are truly yourself. Many people can throw up a mask on the outside to hide themselves. But inside their own mind? There is no where more vulnerable. You cannot hide your true self there," Ozir explained.

"So, is it like one big hall with many doors?"

"No. Each person has their own Realm of Dreams. There is no way to connect them permanently with a structure such as a hallway."

"Permanently? So, you can connect two people together?" Daniella asked, tilting her head to the side.

"No Dreampyre can do that. There is a way to connect two or more people together in the Realm of Dreams, but that can only be done by the person who is inviting them in. Say for example, you want to connect with your family in your old realm, you could connect your own Realm of Dreams to theirs and talk to them that way. Many Purple Ninja before you had mastered the skill so that they could still be in contact with the loved ones that they left behind," Ozir answered, taking a sip of tea.

"My old realm? What are you talking about? This Realm is great, but Ninjago is my home," Daniella asked, her smile falling.

"Surely you knew?"

"Knew what?"

"Daniella you can never go back to Ninjago. The Realm of The Great Library is your home now. Once you take the mantle of Purple Ninja, The Library becomes your home. You are needed here more than you are needed in Ninjago," Ozir explained, setting her teacup down on the table beside her.

"But my family is in Ninjago. I just saved my father from the clutches of the Overlord. I lost a friend who was like a brother to me. My family was falling apart when I left. I came with the understanding that once my initial training was over, I could go back home. This," she said, standing up and pointing to the floor, "is not my home."

"Daniella please," Ozir started.

"No, I need some air," Daniella huffed, storming out of the room.

      Daniella's mind was racing as she took turn after turn, not really having any idea as to where she was going. She felt as if she couldn't breathe. Not go home? What was she talking about? Daniella had to go home. That was where her family was, that was where she belonged. There was no way that Daniella could be the Purple Ninja if that meant she would never see her family again. Her family was who she was. Taking them away from her was like taking her away from herself.

      Daniella stopped and grabbed the front of her dress, trying to breathe calmly. She looked out onto a well-kept garden. No doubt the gardener here lived in the village. What really caught her eye was the pond. Dotting the surface were lotus blossoms, nearly the same color as her powers, what Kai had called her signature color. A delicate lavender that was calming yet shone brightly against the dark waters. She smiled as she thought of her family and her friends, slowly feeling the breath come back to her lungs. She wiped her eyes and turned her head, stopping when she noticed a small building that had been built into the mountain side behind it.

      Curiosity taking a hold of her thoughts, she turned and quickly made her way down the path. Daniella was so focused on the building in front of her, she did not feel the ghostly gaze that had fallen upon her as she closed the gap between her and the door.