Chapter 20

That morning I woke up enamored and high on euphoria.

The setting was everything I ever dreamed of when I go to bed every night. With the birds chirping, sunlight beaming through the windows, and the girl that I had loved ever-so-dearly wrapped in my arms, it was so, so heavenly. It was such a vague and indistinctive feeling that I thought that perhaps it actually was still a dream rather than reality.

A familiar scent of fruity shampoos and conditioners invaded my nose as I breathed in, cherishing it. Sweet and lingering. That familiar scent of, of course, Jesse De Rose. I was holding her in my arms in the same position that we had fell asleep in the night before.

Her hair sprawled over the plush grey pillows in that beautifully, perfect messy way. The comforter was pulled up to her delicate chin as she curled up like a clinging child to my body, her face hidden as it was buried into my chest. I felt her stomach moving very slightly as she breathed in and out, along with the air on my bare chest.

I laid like that for a moment, gazing out the window and stroking her hair while I held her in my possession, listening to her soft breaths. My thumbs worked circles into her scalp in a comforting way as I tucked her head under my chin and pulled the comforter closer to me. The room got colder from the summer-like breeze that blew through the window that was cracked open, but our bodies together made it much warmer.

Just like that, it was my moment to calm down and organize my thoughts because they were in a jumble. A big at that. With wide eyes lingering around the room and taking everything in, I thought about everything that had happened so far. We were on a mere day three of being here and yet, everything came flying at me at once. Had I not been convinced that this would have eventually happened and it was not all apart of my planning, I would've been pinching myself on the arm.

However, the dreaded thoughts about if she would wake up and regret everything flooded my mind and alarmed me. If she did, I don't know what I would do.

What if the only reason she allowed me to touch her in such ways last night was only a spur of her moment of weakness?

It can't be.

I was a manipulative person. I could genuinely admit to that with no ill feelings. It was a part of who I was and it was what I did best, anyone could see that. My whole life revolved around my decisions as a manipulative person. But I did not manipulate Jesse De Rose into sleeping with me, I could never. She was my delicate, naive girl who I could never hurt.

Jesse was a soft sleeper, so (with the idea that she could possibly regret this the second that she woke up) before the moment was over, I shifted my body in order to grab my phone on the nightstand. Opening the camera with nervous hands and a beating heart, I shifted so that I was just barely hovering over her and snapped the perfect picture of her soft face. Afterwards, I let out a breath of relief as she didn't move besides the tiny wiggle of her toes.

I clicked on the photo to see if I had gotten a proper picture and the corners of my lip twitched upwards when I did. The blanket covered everything except for her prominent collarbones and bare shoulders, arms draped over my body with her face flat against me.

Like the lovesick, wretched man that I was, I would print it later and add it to the numerous amounts of others that I brought with me. A memorabilia of sorts.

Eventually, I felt her stir around. She wiggled around in the sheets while fighting the urge to fall back into the deep abyss. Her fists curled into the blankets as she blinked her eyes a few times to adjust to the brightness. She sighed, peering up at me with those bright blue eyes of hers and shifted so that the tip of  her chin rested on my bare chest.