Chapter 27

Love was a strange thing. It was often so picky and elusive, just like that of your own imagination. You could barely understand it, and many times it would slip away if you didn't have a firm grasp on it.

Everyone told me I was narrow minded and stubborn. My piece of shit father, my mother, my ex-wife, my best friend. I agreed with them, of course, but I think my stubbornness went beyond its definition as I got older. I was much, much more than stubborn. When I found myself wanting something, there was no turning back after that. I would get my hands on it even if I needed to go to the ends of the earth.

That was one of the many reason I refused to give up on Jesse De Rose with all two hundred six bones in my body.

Once the lift was ready, everyone in line shuffled in. Jesse and I stayed pressed up against the glass of it, watching the people below us get smaller and smaller until they no longer appeared as a detailed figure, but a tiny dot. I wrapped my arm gently around her slender shoulders, feeling her place a tender hand on my forearm and lean the side of her cheek against it.

I hated being this close to people I didn't know. I could smell the old man's coffee that he was drinking on his breath as he breathed heavily through his mouth. He turned his head slightly when he saw me take a small step away from him and shot me a smile. Then his eyes drifted down to Jesse and smiled at her too.

I recoiled—whether it was from his yellow-stained teeth or my annoyance at him looking at her is for you to decide—and yanked Jesse's arm so that she was closer to me and away from him.

My body had a mind of its own.

I put a hand against her hip and shifted her so that she was pressed against my front. Being this close to her and crammed in a tiny space made me push my hips further into her body. My cock stood to attention when I felt her shift against me, and the bulging strain in my pants made me groan quietly.

She must've felt it too because she let out something between a surprised gasp and a soft moan.

"What is it, baby? Hm?" I whispered into her hair from behind her, acting oblivious.

Her eyes fluttered shut as she lifted her chin up and lips slowly parted, "N-nothing."

I smirked at her stuttering. Sex in a public area was always something I was interested in, and what better way do it in Paris with the love of my life in the elevator to the top of the Eiffel Tower?

Okay, so maybe sex in a crowded elevator was scandalous and absolutely impractical unless I was into voyeurism—and I don't think I was—but a little teasing wouldn't hurt. Maybe it'd hurt me physically, but it definitely wouldn't hurt her.

I grabbed her hipbone and pushed her up closer to me. One of her palms flew out to grasp the railing of the lift. I bent her body subtly towards me, feeling her ass grind up against the fabric of my pants.

"Not now," she uttered weakly, her words slurring into a faint moan.

"Not now?" I tsked towards her ear, "your body is deceiving your words." I tightened my grip on her and grasped her chin between my fingers, squeezing her cheeks together, "Isn't that right?"

"No–"

I squeezed her cheeks tighter together until they squished under my fingertips and she finally gave in with a weak, "Yes."

My nose trailed down her hair and the side of her neck, watching as her skin arose with goosebumps from my breath hitting her skin. "That's a good girl. Now why. Why, why, why would you lie to me?" My tone turned a bit deeper; my words were a bit slower.