Chapter 7

Two days. Two fucking impatient, uneventful days without as much as being in the same room as Jesse.

I was starting to think that maybe she was avoiding me like the plague after what happened the other night, and I was vexed about it.

If she really was that fraught, I wouldn't have done it in the first place. She can't blame it all on me. It was Jesse's fault as well for the misleading actions that night. She was flirting with me. She was being affectionate with me. She was close to fucking kissing me.

I didn't do anything wrong, did I? I thought that's what she wanted. To be touched by a man.

Jesse De Rose just loved to play mind games, didn't she?

I was emotionally drained without her. It was kind of frightening in a way. My mind and body, quite literally, strived off of her want and attention. Without her it was empty. She fulfilled me and right now I was craving her.

I wasn't oblivious to the fact that she actually wasn't busy and had every opportunity to come say something as little as a "hi" to me. She had been dropping Carissa off for the past two days after they were finished dress shopping.

The small glass of bitter alcohol rested in my burly hands as I furiously scribbled down on some work papers in my office. It was rather spacious, but plain. With a leather couch against one wall, a full book shelf on the other, a neatly organized oak desk, bare wood floors, dim lamps and a couple nicknacks here and there.

In spite of the fact that it was rather average and dull, I enjoyed being here. It was soothing and undisturbed. The scent of the Stefano Ricci cologne that I always wore mixed with the smell of the numerous amounts of black coffee that I always have, and I guess after awhile it just lingered. A mixture that creates a composition where the most valuable spices, the scented rum and the woods of material sensuality meet the mandarin and cardamom, to create a deep freshness.

Setting the glass on the coaster on top of my desk, I removed my black suit jacket and loosened my tie. I leaned back in the leather desk chair and shuffled the scattered papers into a neat pile to then set them aside.

The light from my computer illuminated in the dim room as my fingers hovered over the keyboard thinking of the next sentence to write while I replied to a profuse amount of emails from companies.

I couldn't think straight lately, and I wasn't being theatrical when I said my body thrived off of Jesse because she was the reason for all of this. All she ever did was occupy my mind.

During meetings, at the dinner table, in the car, brushing my teeth, in bed. Everywhere.

It wasn't as if she didn't occupy my mind on any normal day because she did. Now, I just couldn't do anything without it reminding me of her.

My cellphone ringtone echoed in the room and vibrated the desk in alert. Flipping the device over, I looked at who was calling. The ID read: Marcos De Rose. I put a pause to my typing on the keyboard and, without a second thought, swiftly answered the phone.

As I clicked accept and held the phone to my ear, there was shuffling on the other side before he started speaking, "Alessandro. Long time no see, man. How are you?"

Clearing my throat, I responded. "As fine as I could be right now. Nothing new, same old routine, same old mistakes," My eyes wondered down to the edge of my computer where the date was marked. "Damn, when was the last time we talked?"

He chuckled in reply, "A good month at most. Ezra's been loading me with work, so I've been spending most of my day in the office."