Chapter 21

One who is not patient will not fully experience and master the art of love. Throughout my life, I had learned that all good will come to you with time.

In a sense, I believed my patience and virtue had given me many rewards. One of them including the being of Jesse De Rose.

Her breathing was hitched as she collapsed against my chest. We sat like that for minutes, basking in each other's presence and calming down from our pleasure filled highs.

I massaged her head comfortingly, listening to our breathing return back to normal. "I should probably go," I whispered, afraid to interrupt the soothing moment.

Her face pulled down, eyelashes fluttering. "Oh, well okay."

Her voice came out so meek and small that I instantly felt bad about having to leave her. She must've thought that I wanted to, but in the moment I wanted to do the exact opposite. I had waited nearly my whole life—technically, her whole life—for this moment.

Yet, I was the one running away from her?

If there was one thing that made me utterly terrified, it was getting caught in the midst of this forbidden matter. By her father, her mother, my daughter. There were many cons that came with this dangerous game, but my only priority was putting all my efforts into them not detecting anything, however I wasn't entirely sure how long I could trust my good graces to pull itself together.

I could lose everything if someone found out about this. My daughter, my best friend. I had already lost someone when they had found out about my infatuation, but the meaning of lost was something so literal.

And that person? Well, it wasn't like I cared about them anymore, so their death didn't necessarily affect me. It did, however, affect my daughter to the brink of tearing her apart.

So, this was precisely why I was distancing myself away from her for the time being.

"I'll tell you what," I replied pushing up on my arms, so that I could remove myself from the bathtub. "How about you and I go to the Louvre today, yeah?"

I stepped out, the water pooling at the bottom of my feet and dripping from each strand of my damp, disheveled hair. Wrapping the plush white towel around my lower body with my back facing her, I glanced at her figure through the mirror.

My tongue darted out to lick at my bottom lip, watching as Jesse mimicked my actions in pushing herself out of the tub. The droplets of water trailed down her naked body, falling into every crevasse and displaying every mark to me. Red, tender bruises on her hips and upper thighs, and the smaller bruises that went across her shoulders and chest, one that could only be formed by a mouth. She reached her hand over to the towel rack, grabbing a towel and swaddled her body in it.

Jesse wrung her hair out of extra water, shaking it and tousled it with her fingers. Her eyes lit up at my mentioning. No longer were they the dull and darkened aqua ones that were meek just a moment ago, they were now overcast with passion and brightened with glee.

"I would love that," she connected her eyes with me through the mirror and smiled softly. I could hear the hesitation coming on before she opened her mouth to choke out her next words. "But, my father..." Jesse fidgeted with the ends of her hair in obvious nervousness, shifting her weight from one foot to another, "as much as I want to, I don't think that's actually possible without everyone else going."

She stepped forward so that her body was slightly behind mine with her arms folded over her chest and a defeated frown on her face. We continued to communicate by looking at each other through the spotless reflection of the ginormous mirrors. I noticed how her eyes occasionally drifted away from my gaze and how she licked at her lips, squirming and every other second she adjusted the towel that was wrapped around her. My hands gripped at the counter in front of me, grounding my teeth together.