ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

Disclaimer: This chapter contains spoilers for S10E18 "Find Me"
____________________

«Only If We Let it»

FIVE YEARS AGO

For nearly two years, the Alexandrian group had organized search parties along the river where Rick was last seen. They scoured different locations, hoping to uncover any shred of evidence regarding his survival. Despite their persistent efforts, most eventually gave up, except for Daryl's group, who clung to hope.

Establishing a makeshift camp on one side of the stream, John, Merle, Logan, Tom, Chloe, and Daryl, occasionally aided by Aaron, Rosita, Tyler, and DJ, diligently mapped out the entire area. However, their endeavours seemed futile, and Chloe, along with the others, began losing hope. Daryl remained resolute in his belief that his brother was out there somewhere, refusing to surrender.

"We might need to consider other options," Chloe suggested, seated beside Daryl by the river.

"We've tried, Daryl," she continued when met with silence. He consistently dismissed the idea each time it was raised.

"He's out there somewhere," he asserted.

"Perhaps, but not here. Maybe far from home, or someone took him," Chloe speculated, observing Daryl's intense gaze fixed on the rippling water.

Without responding, he stood up and encountered a small dog, which he promptly picked up.

"Where did you come from?" he wondered, but the dog wriggled free, darting away before Chloe could examine it closely.

"Dogs are a rare sight around here," she remarked.

"Yeah, they are. Probably someone's pet," Daryl replied, engrossed in circling another area on the map that yielded no results.

A voice interrupted them, and they turned to find Carol standing on the other side of the stream.

"Hey," she greeted as they approached.

"What's going on?" Daryl inquired.

"Nothing," Carol replied.

"Are you sure?"

"It doesn't matter. Things are just different. I don't know."

"Different how?" Daryl pressed.

"Harder. Harder to talk, harder to trade. Maggie left Hilltop with Hershel and went with Georgie," Carol disclosed.

"What? When?" Chloe exclaimed.

"Three days ago."

"She didn't mention anything to me."

"To anyone, except Jesus," Carol added.

"Why?" Daryl asked.

"She's on her own journey now, I suppose. Like you two."

"You know we gotta do this, right?" Daryl asserted.

"I know."

"How's Michonne? How's the kids?" he inquired. It had been almost two weeks since they left Alexandria for another search party.