ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪx

«Scars»

ONCE AGAIN, Chloe and Daryl were headed to the camp that was still under construction, with Dog trailing close behind them. Chloe disliked being out there, but she wasn't about to let Daryl venture out alone, especially after the events that happened five years ago. Despite Daryl's persistent attempts to convince her to leave their house in Alexandria and settle in the wilderness, Chloe remained steadfast in her preference for life in Alexandria.

"Couldn't we have just stayed back? Escorted those new people to Hilltop instead?" she asked, kicking a few pebbles with her boots.

"Nah," he responded as the trio continued walking.

"It's unbelievable we're leaving the civilization we have back there and heading back into the wilderness," Chloe remarked, causing him to stop and turn to face her.

"You can go back if you want, take Dog with you. I ain't stopping ya," he said.

Chloe sighed. "No," she said before resuming walking. "I'm not leaving you."

"I'll be fine on my own," he insisted.

"No, you won't," Chloe replied. "I just want to know what's so good about being out there?" She hoped she wouldn't regret asking that question anytime soon.

"It's quiet. Away from all the chaos," he explained.

"I see," Chloe said as she gave Dog a treat.

The journey fell silent again before Chloe decided to speak. "So... Merle's just busy now?"

"Yeah."

"Lucy?" she asked about the woman he'd been spending time with lately.

"Hmm," he said with a nod.

"He's reminding me of old Merle, from back at the start."

"He's always been like that."

"No, he'd changed after that incident."

The sound of a carriage caused them to stop again, finding Carol and Henry riding their way.

"Whoa, whoa!" Carol spoke, causing the horse to halt. "Need a ride, strangers?"

"Where's the bike?" inquired Carol.

"We've stashed it at camp, reserving it for when it's truly necessary," Chloe replied.

Upon reaching the camp, Carol's gaze fixated on the unfinished boat.

"Careful. Traps everywhere," Chloe whispered as Henry and Carol followed closely behind.

"Didn't you fix the boat since last time?" Carol asked Daryl, who was feeding Dog a Walker's hand. He knew Chloe disliked it but continued anyway.

"Good dog."

"We've been dealing with some stuff at Alexandria," Chloe answered when Daryl remained silent.

"How's the King?" he suddenly asked Carol.

"He's struggling to let go. I'm taking Henry to the Hilltop. He wants to apprentice at the smithy."

"He and Tom," Chloe added, glancing at Henry holding their bags. For the past few months, Tom had been incessantly expressing his desire to go to Hilltop. The two teenage boys were eager to be smiths, making it their mission to achieve their goals.