ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ꜱɪx

«NEGAN SAVED MY LIFE»

THE MOON cast a soft glow through the window of Chloe and Daryl's room as they settled into their bed, the events of the day still lingering in the air. Chloe, lying beside Daryl, could sense the worry etched into his features. She reached out to gently trace her fingers along his roughened knuckles.

"You still thinkin' 'bout that man?" Daryl asked, his eyes meeting hers in the dim light.

"Yeah," Chloe admitted, a sigh escaping her lips. "It felt off, Daryl. Something about him, and I don't like the idea of someone knowing where our community is."

Daryl's brow furrowed, concern evident in his eyes. "We need to stay alert, then. Can't be too careful."

Chloe nodded, appreciating Daryl's steadfast nature. She shifted closer to him, seeking comfort in his warmth. "I just hope we made the right call, leading him here."

Daryl wrapped his arm around her, pulling her into a comforting embrace. "You did what you had to do to survive."

Their closeness brought a sense of reassurance, but Daryl's worry lingered. "If anythin' happened to ya out there, I..." He trailed off, his gaze searching Chloe's eyes for understanding.

Chloe placed a gentle finger on his lips. "We made it back, Daryl. We're here, together."

He nodded, the weight of the moment lifting slightly. "Gotta keep each other safe."

Chloe smiled, the moonlight dancing in her eyes. "Always."

The new day began with a morning training session led by Aaron and Chloe for those still unfamiliar with combat.

"Stop!" Aaron instructed one of the women who swung her blade clumsily, causing her to slip and fall. "You're dead. Keep your eyes up, and track from head to hands always. Lose focus, and you'll end up dead."

Fighting the Whisperers remained a persistent challenge, even for seasoned survivors like Chloe and Aaron.

"These people took our friends, took our land. They must be stopped," Chloe addressed the group, emphasizing the gravity of the threat.

However, Gage, one of the trainees, managed to distract Chloe during her training. "Hey, Lydia! You think Mommy will take me in?" he jeered, wearing a bag on his face as a makeshift mask. Chloe shot him a glare, and a few trainees chuckled. "Oh, right. No. She... She kicked your ass out. Now you're just a freak. Get the hell out of here."

Chloe exchanged a silent acknowledgement with Aaron. "Hey, you three," Aaron called out to Gage and his friends, bullies among the trainees. "Up here. Let's run it again."

Their unspoken agreement resonated with the need to keep Lydia safe amidst the challenges they faced.

In the bustling atmosphere of the dining room, Chloe found a seat across from Daryl, surrounded by Logan, Tom, John, and Merle. Plates of food were scattered across the table, and the aroma of a home-cooked meal filled the air.

Chloe shot a smile at Daryl as she settled into her seat. "Hey," she greeted, reaching for her fork.

Daryl nodded in acknowledgement, a small smile playing on his lips. "Hey."

"How's the training going?" Logan inquired.

"Well, dealing with Gage and his buddies has been quite a challenge. But we'll get through it," Chloe replied. "Maybe we can switch him with someone from your group, keeping him away from Lydia."

"I've got my own troublesome trainee to deal with," Logan shared. "He's a real pain, and his ego might just be the death of him."

Daryl, who had been quietly eating, nodded in agreement. "Stubborn ones take more effort. But they either learn or they don't."