ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀ

«What Comes After»

MAGGIE AND CHLOE returned to The Hilltop, en route to Alexandria with the intention of dealing with Negan.

"Maggie," Chloe whispered, noticing Jesus approaching, prompting Maggie to quickly stow the crowbar in her backpack.

"Maggie," Jesus greeted. "Chloe."

"Hey," Chloe replied with a forced smile.

"Didn't realize you were back from the camp," he commented.

"Just came in this morning," Maggie informed him.

"Another letter from Georgie just came in," he said. "I was gonna put it on your desk, but here you are."

"Will you put it in the drawer for me with the others? I'll read it later."

"Sure, you're headed back already?" Jesus inquired.

"We just came to pick up a few things," Maggie explained.

"That crowbar being one of them?" Jesus noted, eyeing her bag.

"You've done a good job taking care of things here. I'm gonna need you to keep doing that," she told him as they both started walking away, with him following.

"While you're someplace other than the camp, I'm gonna make things right. Like we talked about. Like you did with Gregory. Only, we never talked about that," he mentioned.

"I'm not asking you to agree with me."

"There was a time I did," he admitted. "Look, Negan deserved to die when it ended. Rick was wrong because he made a call that wasn't his to make. I just want to be sure that you're both not wrong in the same way that he was. And I want you to be sure."

"Maggie? Chloe? You ready?" Dianne called to them from where she stood next to the three horses that were all ready.

"I am. I'll be back when it's done," Maggie assured Jesus before walking away.

"What we're doing. It's the right thing," Chloe told him, following Maggie.

"Got somethin' for you, jefe," Daryl heard Jerry say as he walked toward Rick. He knew exactly what he was about to tell him.

"What is it?"

"Maggie and Chloe are running down to Alexandria. Jesus thought you should know pronto."

As expected, Jesus couldn't just shut it.

"When did they leave?" Rick said, glancing Daryl's way.

"Dunno. Call just came in from the Hilltop relay."

"Did he say anything else?"

"Just that you'd know what that means. Sorry, man, that's all I got."

"No. No. Thanks, Jerry."

Rick pulled out his walkie speaking through it. "Alexandria Relay One, this is Rick Grimes. Come in, please."

Little did he know.