six - pretty

the art of being pretty

- - -

"If I'm being honest, Saint, I don't think skinny jeans and a button up is dinner appropriate."

"I'm not wearing a suit to go to a fuckin' diner," I called out to Hendrix, grabbing my wallet and phone before making my way into my living room. Hendrix and Ali had decided that an unwarranted visit was appropriate.

Kareem was due to arrive at any minute.

"Babe, a suit seems a little overdressed." Aaliyah added in from her spot on the couch. I nodded in agreement.

Hendrix frowned at us both before digging into her bag and pulling out a digital camera. My mouth dropped open but Ali didn't even look surprised.

"What the fuck is that?"

Ali jumped up, escaping the situation as quickly as possible as somebody knocked on my door. I heard her greet Kareem and invite him in, but I kept my eyes on Hendrix and her fucking camera.

A camera.

A digital, oversized freak of a camera.

"Don't overreact- What the hell are you wearing?" Hendrix threw her arms up in exasperation, very nearly flinging the camera across the room as she looked at Kareem. "A leather jacket? Really? Am I the only person who cares about you both looking presentable?"

"You have green hair!" I spluttered back, skin heating up as Hendrix started mumbling. "And the leather jacket looks fine!"

"Maybe you should just let them do what they want, babe." Ali said as she walked over to her girlfriend, wrapping an arm around her waist. Hendrix leaned into the touch as Aaliyah pressed a kiss to her temple.

While they'd been speaking, I'd gestured for Kareem to follow me and we'd silently been edging closer and closer to the escape when Hendrix noticed our retreating forms. "Hey!"

Painting an innocent smile onto my face, I turned around to meet Hendrix's very stern expression. I stifled a laugh as Ali looked on in amusement.

"You're not taking a photo of us. That's weird."

"You're weird."

"Classic."

"You know I like documenting things." She whined, like literally whined. Like a dog.

Giving in because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life with Hendrix complaining to me, I tugged Kareem towards the doorway and stopped us both in front of it.

"Can I put my arm around you?" He asked lowly, so neither of the girls could hear him. I nodded, fighting the grin off my face as his hand curled around my waist.

Nudging closer to him, I wrapped my arm around his back before leaning in. "Do you still have the information for the Dog Shelter where you got King?"

His eyebrows furrowed as he turned away from the camera direction and met my eyes. "Why?"

A smirk swept wide across my lips. "I'm thinking of putting Hendrix up for adoption."

The booming laugh that escaped Kareem made my heart sway with happiness, electricity buzzing around my stomach as he threw his head back, eyes crinkling as his shoulders shook with laughter. Just as I was grinning at his reaction, a flash went off and left black spots in my eyes.

Hendrix whistled, effectively ruining the moment. "Damn bitches, that's what I'm talking about!"

"Can we leave now?"