thirteen - democracy

the art of democracy

- - -

We arrived at Hendrix's apartment within twenty minutes, ringing through the security and using the elevator to go up to the eighth floor. The moment we walked into the room, I couldn't help but admire the interior decor, and was envious of how Hendrix's place was always so nice despite how chaotic she is. Her large windows looked magnificent when partnered with the sleek wooden, black floors. Hendrix's parents were extremely well off, and her residence showed it in the subtlest way possible. Jem's parents were more than happy to pay their half of the rent, so they could focus primarily on their studies.

Music was playing at a gentle, but noticeable, level and there was a small crowd of people in every corner of the room. I was almost glad that it wasn't packed, like it usually was, and I felt a lot more relaxed knowing that Sacha was right behind me.

"Looks like Jem's already started their politics lecture." Sacha mused, nodding towards the left of the apartment as I walked with him. I laughed lightly, completely aware of what Jem's infamous lecture consisted of.

Disrespecting the 45th American President? Check.

Evoking conspiracy theories that the 2016 election was rigged? Check.

Stating that, despite being the better of two evils, our lovely 46th American President isn't that great? Double check.

"Saint!" Hendrix cheered, throwing an arm around my shoulder. I waved and said hi to a few people in the open kitchen, smiling at them as Hendrix started talking. "Dude, you need to tell Jem that they need to lighten up. They've been shouting at everyone since they walked in."

I just shrugged, watching from the corner of my eye as Sacha balls his way over to his friends. They'd just started practising some new songs for their bar gig and I was so excited to hear the lyrics we wrote together get played live.

"Maybe you shouldn't be inviting Republicans then, Jimi."

We turned around as Kareem made his way over to us. My back straightened, gaze remaining on him as I took in his simple outfit of a black button up and black jeans. The leather jacket on top of his usual ensemble gave me a sudden urge to bite my lip as I took in how good he looked. Instead of the usual red cup that everyone seemed to have at gatherings like these, Kareem only had a sealed bottle of water in his possessions, which drew my eyes to the tattoos on his hands. Dark bracelets hung on each wrist, partnered with the thick rings spreading across his fingers. His eyes met mine, a cheeky grin reaching his face as if he knew where my thoughts had gone. "Hey, Saint. Didn't expect to see you here."

"Have you met Drix?" I deadpanned, eyebrows raised as I attempted to act as casual as possible. I still wasn't certain about where we stood, in terms of labels. I hadn't seen him for a few days, as he'd been busy with his sister and sorting out his finances. I still had no clarity on where I stood, and was becoming more and more worried about the eventual admission that I knew I'd have to give him. We'd been texting all day and he'd mentioned that he would be coming, but as usual my anxiety made me overthink everything until Sacha physically dragged me out of the house. "Plus, I could never say no to free drinks. It's not in my nature."

"Saint Nicolas, please tell this Zayn Malik wannabe to stop disrespecting me in my own home. Jimi, really?" Hendrix giggled into her cup, despite her words. "And it's not my fault that Jem is incapable of being a civilised-"

"You talking shit about me again, Drizella?"

"Nope." Hendrix said instantly, "So dramatic, Jem. That's why I love ya." She slurred her words slightly before hugging them. Luckily, Jem just rolled their eyes and accepted her hug naturally. They stumbled away together and Jem, upon meeting eyes with Kareem, sent him a quick nod before they disappeared into the crowd of people.