eight - a date

the art of a date

- - -

Today was the band's gig at the Bakery.

So naturally, Fallen Temple (what a dumb name) were setting up their instruments and the other's were preparing to let those with tickets enter.

Everyone was panicking.

Sacha couldn't find Isaiah's drumsticks, Bodhi couldn't find his spare guitar picks, Jem was laughing at them all and Hendrix was already drunk.

"Please be quiet, I can't even hear myself losing the will to live."

"You'll be able to hear yourself when I shove this stick up your-"

"Sacha, concentrate!" I snapped as I brought out the food I'd prepared and set it down on the tables.

Full credit went to Hendrix for reminding me that nothing gets people out of the house like free food.

"Tell Hendrix to stop spilling vodka everywhere, and then complaining!"

The green-haired girl glowered at my brother, "Do you want to stab me as well? It'd hurt less."

"Jem, stop laughing and sober her up." The demand made Jem's cackle pause, as they looked at me as if my words were completely foreign to them. Just before I could start shouting at them again, something caught my attention. "Isaiah, put your shirt back on!"

"Hendrix threw a cake at me," He complained. The shirt in question was full of hot pink icing that Hendrix had insisted was a good idea.

"Drizella, you're the fucking bes-"

"I'm going to kill you all slowl-"

Both Jem and I spoke at the same time, before we were both interrupted by the front door opening.

Kareem's eyebrows furrowed as he took in the absolute bombsite that was Dexter's. Running his eyes from Isaiah's destroyed shirt to Hendrix's drunken giggles, he lay his final focus on me as he grinned.

"Hey," He murmured just loud enough for me to hear, pulling me into a quick hug. I relaxed in his hold, taking a moment to just clear my mind. "Are you okay?"

"Mhm," I hummed my agreement, not quite able to hide my exhaustion. The fact Hendrix was drunk slowed me down an unbelievable amount.

"I'll get Hendrix sober, Jem can help with..." Kareem trailed off, gesturing towards Isaiah. "...whatever that situation is. You do what you need to do, okay?"

"Thank you," I said sincerely, feeling like the weight of the world had just been lifted off my shoulders. If Hendrix and Isaiah were being dealt with, Sacha and Bodhi could continue searching for what they needed while I arranged the room and ensured it was clean.

By the time everyone was inside the building and the band were just minutes away from performing, Hendrix was better and the four of us retreated to one of the back tables. Jem had prepared our drinks; three Mojitos and one mocktail for Kareem.

Sacha's performance, as always, was incredible. They'd only decided to perform seven songs, those which they believed showed their true potential, and made sure to show their musical versatility too.

It felt so surreal to watch how far they'd come as musicians since they'd started this journey, as this was only the beginning. Bodhi was becoming more confident on vocals and learning how to combine that with his guitar. Sacha could shred at the bass and he seemed to get better each time he played. Isaiah was still learning but his talent was undeniable. They worked so well together.