1.15

the next monday morning, it was only sydney and reggie together in the studio. they weren't sure where the other two had gone but neither really cared. after all the information that had been dumped on them after the party, the only thing they wanted to think about was each other. sydney kept trying to push away the pit in her stomach that had been there since they spoke with willie.

the two were sitting on the piano bench, as per usual, trying to talk about anything but their worries. sydney was playing a tune on the piano, while reggie was watching her with a soft smile. she was wearing his flannel and the sleeves were slightly too long, so she had the rolled and pushed up to her elbows.

"i know, this whole thing sucks." reggie speaks after a few minutes of silence. "but i'm glad we're spending our last days together." his voice was low, almost a whisper.

sydney simply nodded, she was glad they were together but she couldn't stop thinking about their inevitable second death.

"me too." she says after a moment, turning her head to look up at him. "i just wish it could last longer." she sighs, and her hands slowly stopped pressing the keys on the piano.

sydney just kept thinking about how all of this wasn't fair. it shouldn't be happening to them. she wished she was able to go back and do it all over. she thought about all the things she would have done differently in her life, how she should have spent her time, how she should have treated her parents better. she felt her head begin to spin thinking about it all.

reggie was watching her, he could tell she was getting sucked into her own thoughts, losing her awareness of the real world as her brain spiralled. he gently placed his hands on the keys, and began playing the song they had written together.

a small smile slowly grew on sydney's face as the melody filled the studio. they had yet to finish the songs, neither of them had had much inspiration, with everything that had happened in the last week.

she looked at him, idea for lyrics suddenly filling her head as she met his blue eyes. when he glanced at her, he could tell from the look on her face that she had some new words to put to the melody. he nodded slightly, knowing from her eyes that she was unsure about what she wanted to sing. she nodded back and took a breath, looking away from his eyes.

I'll let you take the wheel
My heart is yours to steal
I know this is real
So baby, don't crush me

she was trying to come up with lyrics for the way she wished her life was turning out. she was thinking about spending years with reggie, pretending in her mind that they have all the time in the world. she knew it wasn't true, she just wished it was.

reggie smiled softly, neither one looking away from each other. sydney didn't want to look away. she didn't want to go anywhere without him, she wanted to stay here, in this moment, forever.

he began singing too, making sydney smile slightly at the words. butterflies erupted in her stomach from the way he was looking at her so intensely.

The pedal's to the floor
And now we're heading north
I've been down this road before
So baby, don't crush me

sydney was getting sucked into the music, it was all her brain was focusing on now. well, she was focusing on the music, and reggie. the thoughts of everything else going wrong around them slipped from both their minds as they sang the chorus together.

It's just the way you are
The way that you walk
The way that you talk
The way that you, you read me, baby
And honey, don't hide that look in your eyes
Darlin', it, it drives me crazy
Don't crush, don't crush me, no
Say you'll remain my love