Chp. 4

I took my seat and took out my books. Mrs Nzuza just finished taking register when her colleague walked in with a guy behind him.

"Mrs Nzuza, the class has a new member," Mr Chirwa who stood at the door announced. He stepped aside and the guy walked in.

Creamy brown skin, almost too perfect if you ask me, his hair in a curly fade with a line up, in his left ear was a silver earring, his jaw popped as he chewed on his gum and I could tell he was ripped as his shirt hugged against his pecs.

"Whats your name?" Mrs Nzuza enquired.

"Moses Mokoena," he replied his deep voice filling the room.

"Where are you from?"

"NSA."

"Whats NSA?" I heard Natalie ask.

"National School of Arts," Moses replied.

"Why'd you leave? It's a great school." Mrs Nzuza asked.

"Correction, I got expelled."

"For?" almost the whole class enquired.

Moses didn't say anything. Chantel got up from her seat and walked up to him, "Leave the guy alone," she told the class, she looked him up and down before finishing, "he's starting with a clean slate."

She gave Moses a smirk, "Do you want to sit next to me? As the prettiest and second smartest-" she gave me a disgusted look and looked back at Moses with a angelic smile, "it would be beneficial to you."

"Who's the smartest?"

Half of the class looked at me and I looked away hoping he would just accept Chantel's offer.

Just then Tsepo walked in, "Sorry I'm late ma'am," he said. He lay eyes on Moses and smiled, "Aweh, Moses, what are you doing here?"

"I'm moving here."

"Ok then Moses you can sit with Tsepo, Chantel sit down so I can start my lesson," Mrs Nzuza instructed rising from her seat.

Tsepo and Moses took their seats and Chantel stared at them, anger and disappointment was evident. After she took her seat the maths lesson began and since there was a new guy in school, they didn't bother me, they all focused on him.

The bell rang I went to history. Surprisingly Moses and I were in the same class, along with the four of the biggest thugs in the school, Tsepo included, took history for some strange reason.

Mr Mudau walked in and started with his lesson. For the first time it was a peaceful lesson, no drama, no bullying, no arguments, no fist fights, just a calm lesson. With Mr Mudau teaching and the class listening.

My day was actually ok until I had a double art. Chantel and Melissa weren't there but Natalie and Tsepo were. Plus, as a bonus Moses. And as an extra bonus, since no one ever wanted to sit next to me that was only extra desk which was given to Moses.

I took out my sketch book and placed it face down on my desk. Moses sat next to me and said, "Hi."

I looked at him to ensure he was talking to me. The last time there was a new student in the class, they said hi, looking at me, but it was apparently to the person behind me. It was humiliating. I was made fun of because of that for a whole month.

I waved at him and took out my pencil case.

"Whats your name?"

I looked at him. He was looking directly at me. Waiting for me to respond. I got nervous, really nervous. No one had ever paid attention to me. No one cared. It felt foreign to be asked such questions. It had been three years since anyone asked for my name, besides teachers of course, but it felt weird, I felt threatened.