Chp. 14

Monday morning arrived. I got out of bed and went to freshen up. I got into my uniform and went downstairs. I went to the kitchen where Paige already sat gobbling down her breakfast.

"Good morning," I smiled warmly.

She gulped down her food and returned the gesture, "Morning. Mom and dad bought Milo cereal on Saturday," she stated pointing with her spoon at the cupboard where the boxes of cereal lived.

"I'll... skip breakfast."

"Why?" my soon to be younger sister enquired.

"Not hungry."

She went silent as I heard high-heeled footsteps against the tiled floor echo throughout the house. I looked up to see Michelle walk towards the kitchen, "Good morning ladies," she greeted.

"Morning," Paige and I greet back.

"Marissa, did you have breakfast?" she asked filling the kettle.

"I'm not hungry," I stated simply.

She shot me a glare.

I cleared my throat, "But I'll have a spoon or two," I chuckled nervously. I opened the cupboard and grabbed a bowl.

"I want you to be nourished so that brain of yours can work at its full potential. By the end of this term you'll be going to a more quintile school where distinctions aren't going to be a breeze."

I had my breakfast and took my medication. Keegan left with Paige and I left with Michelle. It was a silent drive for a while, with only the sound of radio filling the car.

"Moses will be back at school today," Michelle sighed.

I looked at her. "How does that concern me?"

"Didn't you once love him?" she enquired looking at me from the corner of her eye.

"Note the past tense in your sentence. Once. Not anymore," I stated bitterly.

"Marissa, love doesn't fade that quickly. If it does, it was never love in the first place."

"A month is not that quick."

"But a month is that long either. You may speak of him with spite now, but when you see him, that's when you'll know if you still love him or if you hate him."

We arrived at the school and we stepped out of the car. I helped her take her bag of marked assignments to her classroom.

"Leave it right there, thanks."

I left the bag in the corner and looked up at her. She left her bag on her desk with a sigh. I turned to leave when she called for me. I turned to see her walk up to me. She pulled me into a hug.

"I love you. Have a great day. If you need me, I'll be right here," she stated softly in my ear holding me tighter. She let me go and I gave her a small smile before I left.

A few long minutes later the bell rang and I went to my first lesson, math. We were busy with the worst topic on earth, functions. I took my seat and took out my books when I heard a familiar voice at the door.

"Good morning ma'am." I looked up and there stood Moses. I felt a tug in my chest. A strong, painful tug. My eyes almost instantly stung with tears. I looked down at my desk avoiding eye contact.

"Moses," Mrs Nzuza sighed, "Welcome back. Take your seat."

He walked to the back of the class where he got seated. I could feel his eyes on me. The lesson went really slow and it was really uncomfortable.