Part 10

" NO!"

The blood curdling scream bounced off the crumbling castle walls.

James, desperately trying to get out of sirius' grasp clawed at the air to try and get past him.

His efforts were wasted, sirius refusing to let go.

Harry felt his heart break, eyes stinging as fresh tears started to form.

A loud sob escaped james' mouth, everyone in the vicinity watched as the agonizing pleas james was making rang like background music.

Everything seemed to slow down. But james didn't. He pleaded, he begged, he prayed that what he was seeing was a hoax, a cruel joke.

That the bleeding corpse of his husband was fake, and that severus was gonna wake up at any moment.

But that moment that james wished for, more than anything in the world never came. Instead the body was set down on a bed, a blanket over his torso.

Finally james broke down, the realization and pain setting in. It cut deep, nothing like hes ever felt before.

It was like his lungs were being compressed and he could barely see past his tears.

And then sirius let go , barely able to process anything as james ran past him with surprising speed.

He was heartbroken, no. His heart was shattered. He watched his best friend cradle the limp hand of the love of his life.

His former enemy, his partner, the father of their child.

The black band that severus never took off still hung firmly on his thumb, just two fingers next to it was his wedding ring.

The same one james proposed with, the same one that made him cry with happiness and shock and the same one that made him shake with laughter as he pulled out his own ring he planned to propose with.

That ring was on james' left hand and he vowed never to take it off. And he didn't. Not when bathing or swimming. Not while hunting dark wizards and winning a war.

Not when he was holding his husbands cold hands. Even when they had no life in them.

" no no no. sev.... please." His voice broke.

His world crashed down as the blazing war around him continued. He felt the sadness in him turn into anger, clenching onto severus' hand and standing up.

He turned to harry, eyes hard and expression cold. There were no more tears, just the absolute fury that resonated in his eyes.

" harry....."

His voice was quiet, the danger behind the way he said his name making harry stop abruptly.

" if you dont kill him......i will."

——-

Harry woke with a start. He looked around, eyes blinking quickly as he realized he had fallen asleep on a table.

People were packing up, standing up and heading out of the room.

Harry looked to his side, exhaling in relief when he saw severus sitting there. He was scribbling down the last of the notes on a piece of parchment.