Chapter 9

She received the next step through email this time, a week after that awkward dinner with Jennie. Lisa briefly wondered if all ten steps would simply be various dates at different restaurants, because step three told them to meet up at six P.M at a restaurant called Disco. What the hell type of name is that?

Lisa only got the email at five P.M. Was Chaerin mad? Lisa groaned long and loud.

"Lisa, what's wrong? I can hear your groaning from the kitchen."

She lifted her head and saw Jisoo staring at her from the kitchen doorway. "I'm pretty sure this marriage counsellor is an idiot," Lisa told her. "Or just completely mad."

Jisoo frowned and walked over to her. She had an apron on with a chipmunk cartoon on the front, which really didn't suit her but was clearly bought by Chaeyoung, and of course Jisoo would wear it without question. "What is she making you do now?"

"Another date night," Lisa whined. "If I knew taking Jennie out on dates could mend our marriage, I would have done it myself instead of going to some nut job."

Jisoo pointed a wooden spoon at her face. "Now, don't knock it yet. I like that she's making you guys start at the beginning. I mean, think about it, when last did the two of you actually spend time together since your marriage problems started?"

Lisa thought about it and drew a blank. "I mean, a while... but that isn't the point. I don't even know what to say to her. We either fight or we just sit there and sulk. I hate it."

"Are you going to quit then?"

Lisa slid her laptop shut with a sigh. "No," she said. "I made a vow and I'm keeping to it. I might not love Jennie anymore, but I still made a point to at least try." She stood. "Now, help me find a sexy pair of shorts."

Jisoo snorted. "Sexy shorts? Do those even exist?"

"Yeah, the super tight, really short ones. Maybe I'll show off some leg, make Jennie remember what she's missing."

Jisoo outright laughed then. "Or terrify her with the Wookie living on your legs." She laughed again when Lisa slapped her shoulder and retreated to the kitchen, so impressed with her own joke that she simply continued to laugh.

"My legs are not hairy!" Lisa rolled her eyes and hurried to her bedroom to find some casual clothes.

*

Jennie's personal phone rang, but she ignored it.

"Uh, shouldn't you get that?" Chaeyoung asked

The phone continued to ring, but Jennie only shrugged her shoulders and continued typing away at her computer. "It's my personal phone," she explained.

Chaeyoung didn't seem placated. "What if it's Lisa?"

Sighing, Jennie stopped typing and sent Chaeyoung a look. The phone finally stopped vibrating. They stared at each other in silence, then the phone started ringing again. Their eyes remained locked, Chaeyoung narrowed hers and then Jennie looked away and sighed again.

"Fine," she grumbled, reaching for the offending device. It wasn't Lisa's number, or even saved on her phone. She didn't recognize it. "Hello?"

Someone immediately yelled into her ear, almost causing her to throw her phone across the room. "Aren't you excited?!" they yelled again, so loudly that even Chaeyoung could hear it from her seat across Jennie.

"Wow," Chaeyoung mouthed in shock.

Jennie sighed deeply. She knew that voice, and on some level, the screaming too. She pressed the phone against her ear again. "Was that really necessary?" she asked. "And why are you calling me?"

Chaerin hummed as if in deep thought about that question. "Well, step three is in effect right now. How close are you to finishing your work?"

Jennie's stomach dropped. "Nuh-uh, I can't do this again. I have too much to do."

"Jennie, you signed a contract."

"I have a job."

"And a wife, too."

Jennie remained silent. She tried to ignore Chaeyoung's knowing look-she could of course hear every word Chaerin said-but the guilt was starting and it grated on her damn nerves. She remembered the last time she had seen Lisa, a week ago. Even though they had fought as usual, they had actually spoken pleasantly, had remembered their first date. She really, really didn't want to throw this marriage away. She just... wasn't sure what on her part she needed to do. But if it was complying to this dumb ten step system, then so be it. Jennie closed her laptop, shut her PC off and stood from her chair.

"Fine," she said. "What do I need to do?"

*

Jennie had never been to Disco before, quite obviously. It wasn't her scene at all. Not only was she completely uncomfortable, but she was also slightly overdressed. Lisa had shown up in a t-shirt and shorts and she looked relaxed, if a bit bored.

Living up to its odd name, the restaurant had a large dance floor right in the centre, with a disco ball hanging from the ceiling. The waiters all had whacky hairstyles and outfits, and music from the 70s played from speakers all over. It set such a weird atmosphere that Jennie didn't even feel hungry. Lisa seemed to be, since she was intently studying the menu.

"None of this looks appetising," she finally said, setting the menu down with a sigh. "What the hell is Chaerin thinking?"

Jennie ran a hand through her hair. "Right? This place is so weird."

"I wouldn't be surprised if a group of clowns suddenly appeared and started serving tables."

Jennie covered her mouth and giggled just thinking about it. "Honestly, I can see that too."

Lisa smiled at her. It had been so long since Lisa had just smiled, more specifically at her, that Jennie never realized how much she had missed it. Her heart gave a steady thump and she cleared her throat. "We should probably order something."

Lisa nodded. "Maybe we should just sneak out and get some MacDonald's."

Their waiter appeared suddenly, grinning so wide it must have hurt. "Good evening ladies, I have been told to deliver this message to you." He set a paper down on the table. "Are you ready to order?"

Lisa reached for the paper as Jennie gave her order. When the waiter left, Jennie curiously looked over at Lisa and saw that she was glaring at the paper. "What?" she asked.

"That weirdo freaks me out," Lisa muttered. She turned the paper so Jennie could see.

'Please remain seated for the duration of your dinner. You may not leave until you've eaten, conversed and the bill has been settled. Enjoy! - C.'

Lisa made a show of shivering. "How the fuck did she know?"

Jennie hid a smile behind her hand. "Maybe she bugged the table." They locked eyes. The suggestion actually didn't sound out of character. Lisa opened her mouth to say something, but then suddenly a voice boomed over the speakers and her mouth clicked shut.

"Alright, all of you lovely couples! Before your dinner is served, it's time to dance!"

Their waiter whisked past, dropping another paper as he did. Lisa hissed. "Where the fuck is she?"

Jennie took the paper this time and opened it with hesitation. Her heart started beating nervously. "Lisa," she said softly, garnering her attention. "You might not like this." Lisa looked at her and she turned the paper so that she could read.

'Oh, by the way, dancing before eating is mandatory. You literally can't refuse. I'm watching. - C'