Chapter 15

The very next day, as promised, Lisa moved in. Jennie took a rare day off-not truly off, because she was still taking calls and mostly doing things in her home office-to be there to help. She didn't end up helping though, because Chaerin had arranged for Lisa's things to be moved back. Lisa was at work in the meantime, so when the moving crew left, she was home alone to do her work. She was in her office well into the night, answering call after call, doing video conferences. At 7pm Lisa got home and Jennie decided to call it a night. She stopped working on her paperwork and shut her laptop with a grateful sigh. Despite what Lisa often thought, she did not enjoy doing so much work. It's just that, if she didn't do it, it wouldn't get done.

Lisa was in the kitchen, greeting the dogs with laughter and smiles. When she was done she let them out the back, then returned and dumped her coat on the counter. She let out a tired sigh.

"Hey," Jennie greeted nervously. Her heart was pounding, as if this was the first time they would share a roof. She took it as a good sign, so she let the feeling happen.

Lisa stiffened a little at her voice, and she glanced up awkwardly. "Hey, Jennie." She undid the top few buttons of her shirt and swept a hand through her hair. Her collarbones were exposed and the few freckles there. Jennie averted her eyes. "Did you do all this?"

Jennie finally realized that there was a whole meal set out on the table. "Oh, I didn't. I was in my home office all day."

Lisa's eyes widened. "You were at home?"

"Yeah. I thought I could help, but Chaerin did everything."

Lisa laughed. "Yeah. She gave me a call and said I just needed to come here after work. Home."

Home. Having Lisa here again made Jennie feel happier than she had in a while. She hoped things remained like this, and that they didn't start fighting too soon. "We might as well eat then, yeah? You're probably hungry."

Lisa groaned. "Insanely. I forgot to eat all day, and with Jisoo off I had no one to remind me."

They sat down together and started to eat. How on earth Chaerin had managed to set up a whole dinner table with food and wine, she didn't understand, but it had been done. Chaerin had even left a little note on the wine bottle.

Dear Lisa and Jennie

Please enjoy the steak. This wine was expensive, too, so savour it. And remember, no sex!

Good luck.

Jennie's heart sank. There definitely would be no sex, anyway. Chaerin didn't even need to warn them. If Lisa just touched her on the hand, she would be surprised. She certainly wanted to, and the thought made her belly warm, but just one look at Lisa made her cool off and realize that things weren't fixed yet, and Lisa would definitely reject her.

They ate in silence, not sure what to say. The quiet wasn't completely uncomfortable and it was definitely better than being alone, like she had been. The candle between them flickered lightly, casting moving shadows over Lisa's attractive face. Lisa glanced up suddenly, and their eyes met. Jennie quickly looked away, but not before her cheeks reddened.

Why am I reacting like this?

*

Lisa felt awkward. It was weird being back, even though it was her own home, one she had lived in for years. It didn't really feel like hers anymore. It was as if she was simply visiting, and for some reason Jennie was the host.

She was incredibly surprised to have found out that Jennie had stayed home. She had never done that in the past, so it filled her with hope that maybe they could figure things out. They weren't talking at all, though. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was nicely set, but they didn't know what to say. Lisa kept waiting for Jennie to maybe bring up a topic, but she didn't.

When their eyes met, a strange jolt went straight through Lisa's heart. She suddenly, vividly, remembered the day they had moved in together for the first time. Maybe it was the food, the candle and the tension in the air. When the memory came, it ripped right through her.

***

Lisa picked Jennie up and carried her through the front door laughing. Jennie wound her arms around her neck and pulled her down for a long, sensual kiss. Lisa nearly lost her balance, but she straightened and took them to the kitchen, where they kissed and laughed and tore their shirts off.

"We have the whole place to ourselves," Lisa husked against Jennie's pale throat. "What would you like to do?"

Jennie sighed, fingers sinking into Lisa's silky soft hair. "You, baby," she breathed. Lisa picked her up, making her giggle, and carried her down the hallway. "Lisa!"

Lisa kissed her bare chest, her throat and cheeks and jaw and nose. She expertly avoided all of the unopened boxes dumped everywhere, and dropped Jennie ungracefully on their new massive bed. Jennie laughed and pouted up at her.

"You're such a meany," she complained playfully.

Lisa grinned and crawled atop her, covering Jennie's body with her own, fitting a leg between Jennie's thigh. "Oh, but you love this meanie," she husked. "And you'll love me all night long."

Jennie laughed loudly, then moaned. "Exactly why I bought this big bed."

***

Lisa washed the last of her steak down with wine and stared at the wall, cheeks burning. Remembering that night was... interesting. She remembered it being the best sex they'd ever had. Thinking about it, they'd probably had sex on every surface of the house, flat and uneven. She covered her mouth with a hand and played with the last bits of rice on her plate.

Why was she thinking about sex so much? Curse Chaerin and her careful use of words. This was probably her intent. But regardless of that, rules were rules. Lisa finally set her fork down and stood, plate in hand.

"I think I'm going to head to bed," she said.

Jennie seemed to have been lost in thought, too, staring intently at the candle. She stood as well and the both of them packed their dishes in the dishwasher. "Me too," Jennie said softly. They nearly bumped into each other when they turned, and Lisa grabbed hold of her shoulders to steady her. The both of them flushed and Lisa removed her hands quickly. She felt incredibly uncomfortable.

"So, um, night."

She hurried from the kitchen and into her own room. Once the door was shut, Lisa pressed her back against it and closed her eyes, waiting for her heart to stop thundering.

What was this feeling? Certainly it wasn't... well, it couldn't be.

//

it's only when you can't have it that you really want it