Chapter 13

At exactly 5am, Chaerin's alarm went off. She'd already been up, so she sat up in bed, switched the alarm off and set her glasses down on her face. The room was silent, safe for the swishing of her blankets as she moved them aside to climb out of bed.

Chaerin dressed into her running outfit, then left the silence of her apartment to do her daily hour run. No one else was up this early, and the sun had barely risen. It felt invigorating, running through the grey darkness, hearing the soft howl of wind and feeling the moisture in her lungs. By the time the hour was up, her muscles ached and the thudding of her heart reminded her that she was alive.

She returned to her apartment and took a quick five minute shower. At 6:10am exactly, Chaerin started her breakfast. At 7am, she sat down to eat and went through the newspaper for the weekly news. She sipped her coffee, chewed on her pancake and clicked through her emails on her laptop when she was done with the paper. Most of it was spam, as usual, and happy couples sending her updates and thanking her. She went through every one of those, viewing all of the holiday pictures and wedding and baby videos. It filled her with utmost joy to see the results of her hard work.

At 8am, a knock sounded at her door, right on time. She replied to her last email, slid her laptop shut with a click and took her dishes to the sink. When she opened the door, she smiled.

"Good morning, Lee," a young man greeted, smiling nervously.

Chaerin sucked in a long, fresh breath. She was showered, belly full, soul cleansed. She felt great. "Morning, Lucas. Are you ready for another fantastic day as my assistant?"

Lucas nodded hesitantly. Even though he had come to her in a rush, begging to help her, he still seemed to second guess everything they did. His parents had been Chaerin's very first clients, and if not for her help, Lucas probably wouldn't have been born. Chaerin didn't like to toot her own horn, though. But looking at the boy made her feel even more enthusiastic than usual. This was why she dedicated her whole life to other people's relationships.

"Of course, Lee!" Lucas yelled awkwardly. He was never sure which social cue to follow, but Chaerin adored him anyway. She left him by the doorway and hurried inside to grab her bag and coat. On the way back, she paused in the hallway, where she had a photo framed on the wall. It was the only photo, because it was the only one that mattered. She pressed her fingers to the glass, gently traced the smiling face in the picture.

"For you, my love," Chaerin said softly, eyes swimming with unusual sadness. She let the grief pass through her, let it run its course.

"Lee?" Lucas called from the door.

Chaerin gave the picture of her dead wife one last smile, then hurried out to join her young apprentice in the driveway. He was too young to drive, so she took him everywhere. That was alright. She had a lot to teach him.