Chapter 23

Despite the fact that Lisa ended up doing everything her way, she still tried her best to do everything that needed to be done and she was stubborn about letting Chaeyoung do everything for her. There really was a fuck ton of paperwork to do, which Lisa absolutely detested. Chaeyoung did the bulk of it but that still let so much left over, and Lisa was holed up in the office for the rest of the day and night after their lunch at McDonald's.

She let everyone go home early, too, after they completed their work. It was interesting how productivity almost doubled once everyone felt acknowledged and happy. Though people were laughing and chatting and having a good time, they were still determined to do their work-with the promise of going home early. By 5PM, everyone had left and Lisa was all but alone in the office.

When Lisa finally finished just after 10PM, Chaeyoung cracked her door open and gave her a tired smile.

"All done, boss?"

Lisa shut everything off and stood, groaning and stretching. Her spine popped in several places. "All done," she answered. "I have a blazing headache. No wonder Jennie is so damn grumpy all the time."

Chaeyoung nodded, looking incredibly pleased. "And she usually won't let me take some of the work off her plate. She feels entirely responsible."

"I feel so bad for how I treated her. She was dealing with this daily and then coming home to my attitude. No wonder she started spending more time here." Her heart absolutely ached. "Man, I really need to make it up to her."

They switched lights off as they went and gathered their things. "Jisoo says the day went really well with Jennie. She was anxious but relaxed really quickly. Apparently Jisoo even caught her playing hide and seek with those two idiots that you have working there."

Lisa nearly choked on her tongue. "Oh god, I need to review that camera footage."

They laughed loudly together, and Lisa's steps were incredibly light. She hadn't felt this good in so long and it was so freeing. She happily waved to Chaeyoung even though her head really hurt and her body ached. The ride home was done with music softly playing and Lisa humming along, and when she walked through the front door to greet her sleepy babies, she was buzzing with warm energy. Her dogs seemed to sense it, and they followed her happily as she walked through the house in search of her wife.

"Jennie?"

Lisa found Jennie in the lounge, asleep on the couch. The blanket she had been wrapped up in was mostly on the floor, and when the dogs pounced on her she woke with a start. Her sleepy eyes met Lisa's, and she gave a beautiful smile.

"Welcome home, big shot CEO."

Lisa's smile is brilliant as she shrugged out of her pantsuit jacket. "Hey baby."

Jennie's eyes widened at the name, then her cheeks reddened. Lisa tossed her jacket onto the back of the couch and then leaned over Jennie to draw her into a soft, loving kiss. When she pulled away, she ached from deep within. Sighing in exhaustion, she collapsed next to Jennie and shut her eyes.

"Tired?" Jennie asked her. She scooted closer and ran her fingers through Lisa's now messy hair.

"Fucking exhausted."

"Even after all that McDonald's?"

Lisa cracked an eye open. "That traitor."

Lisa had been a little worried all day. Would Jennie be furious with her, for what she had done? Her father certainly would be, and usually that meant Jennie would be an extension of his anger. Instead, she started giggling, the joyous sound bubbling right out of her, and Lisa couldn't help but join in. They laughed until they had tears in their eyes, and they pressed close together with her fingers intertwined.