Chapter 18

Lisa woke fully expecting to find Jennie's car gone, or at the very least some sort of sign that she had returned at all, but she didn't. Jennie's car was still in the garage, the entire house was untouched, her office hadn't been used last minute and her bed was pristine. Where the fuck was she?

Lisa decided to give Jennie a call on her way to Chaerin's office, but it went straight to voicemail. Steadily, her anger was rising. It was clear that Jennie hadn't taken the time to try to get a gift, so she was ghosting. It made Lisa so fucking angry, but it also hurt her so deeply she felt her eyes prickle.

When Lisa arrived at Chaerin, she paused mid-step in the doorway. Jennie was there, sitting on her usual spot and laughing with Chaerin. When they both noticed Lisa step in, Chaerin schooled her expression but Jennie beamed.

All of the negative emotions that had been building and nearly overflowing suddenly evaporated, but then she was just left feeling very confused.

"Jennie," Lisa said, taking her seat. "You didn't come home last night."

Lisa furrowed her brows at the sight of Jennie nearly smirking. She didn't seem worried or even upset, but actually playful and even... excited. "Sorry about that," Jennie told her. She calmed her expression and smoothed her face out. Lisa's anxiety was starting to kick in. "I needed to do something urgently and didn't have the time to contact you."

Lisa wanted to ask more, but Chaerin cleared her throat and waited for their undivided attention. "Good morning to the two of you," she greeted cheerfully. "Thank you for coming here. Are you ready to share your gifts with each other? Lisa, why don't you go first?"

Lisa remembered the gift in her pocket. Her heart suddenly started to hammer, and when both Chaerin and Jennie stared at her expectantly, nerves filled her stomach. She decided to ask questions later and slowly pulled the object from her pocket. She held it up so that Jennie could see and watched closely for her reaction.

First, Jennie furrowed her brows in thought, then her eyes widened comically. She reached out, fingers shaking, and took the necklace from Lisa. "Where did you find it?" she asked, voice soft and amazed.

Despite the horrible morning she had endured, Lisa felt warmth fill her entire body at the look of awe and happiness on Jennie's face. "I didn't. I had it remade."

Jennie looked up at her. She turned the necklace around in her hands, inspecting the golden rose and the golden chain. She ran her finger over the grooves of the petals. Lisa's heart ached when Jennie's eyes filled with tears and they spilled over. She immediately scooted closer until they were pressing against each other, and took Jennie's cheeks in her hands.

"You don't need to cry," she told her softly.

Jennie sniffed. "I know. I'm sorry, but I just..."

Lisa wiped her tears away with her thumbs. "It's okay."

When they had first gotten married, Lisa had given the necklace to Jennie on their honeymoon. It was a family heirloom that Lisa's mother had finally given to her after receiving it from her mother, so it was especially special. Lisa had said that Jennie could have it, until she had someone to pass it down to, if they ever had a child. It had always been a thing they intended to give to their future daughter, and staring at it now, Lisa felt the absence of a child keenly. After the years, they had just stopped thinking about it.

"I still feel so horrible for losing it," Jennie whispered. She took one of Lisa's hands and intertwined their fingers. "I don't deserve this."

Lisa furrowed her brows. She squeezed Jennie's fingers with her own. "Jennie, you deserve everything."

Jennie looked into her eyes and they shared a long moment of silently staring at each other, as if finally seeing each other after so long. It felt good and meaningful, but it was quickly interrupted.

"And Jennie, your gift," Chaerin spoke up.

"Oh!" Jennie's eyes lit up and she turned to rustle around in her bag beside her. She pulled a rectangular object onto her lap, wrapped with brown paper. "Okay, so, open it and then I will explain."

Lisa took the gift and studied the wrapping, which was sloppily done. She carefully unfolded the paper and set it down at her feet before inspecting what was within. It was a book. Confusion returned, until she turned it and got a look at the cover. Her heart nearly leapt out her throat and her eyes widened so much they nearly fell out. Jennie started to grin and Chaerin chuckled.

"How did you get this?" Lisa asked, voice nearly choked.

Jennie winked. "Open it."

Lisa did. On the very first page, the author had signed and left a personal message.

Hi Lisa! Your lovely wife Jennie flew all the way across the world to my home to ask for this copy, and for a message from me. I was so touched that I couldn't say no. She really must love you, and I'm a little jealous. I hope you enjoy this early copy of my new novel coming out next month. And I hope that things between you and Jennie work out!

Love like yours is rare.

Love,
JLCC

Lisa's mouth had gone bone dry. She flipped the book to read the back. Her stomach was in knots and her chest ached, but it all felt good. She couldn't believe that she was holding an early copy of The Novel by her favourite author of all time. She had been raving about wanting this book ever since it had been announced, and for Jennie to have noticed that and actually gone out of her way like this, to such extremes? Lisa couldn't help it, she started to cry. Jennie wrapped her up in a tight hug and they quietly cried together. Chaerin didn't interrupt them.

Lisa took Jennie's hand and held it tightly. Her heart was pounding and absolutely aching, but there was absolutely no doubt in her mind now. "I love you," Lisa whispered against Jennie's ear. Jennie stiffened against her, and then went slack. "I still love you, so much."

It wasn't just that she'd gotten an awesome present. It was just... the fact that Jennie had left work-which she was so married to-had left the country, bothered some poor woman out in the world, and returned in time for their session, showed Lisa that Jennie genuinely still cared about her.

Lisa rested her cheek against the top of Jennie's head and glanced over at Chaerin. Chaerin tried to hide it, but Lisa noticed her discreetly wiping her eyes, and it made her smile.

Jennie's hand in her own felt like home.

//

who can guess what JLCC stands for? i update another chapter if you guess it right! 😁