Chapter Four

I SIT AT the far back of the classroom, at the fifth row of desks, away from the spotlight. I have my planner and my textbooks flipped open to the page that is written with blue dry erase marker on the dry erase board. George stands beside it with the marker as a pointer. I have my chin in my palm, my elbow resting on my desk, as I flip through the textbook absentmindedly. George's voice drowns out as my mind goes blank. I blink. What was I thinking? 

 I look up and instantly, mine and George's eyes lock with each other for a split second. I smile encouragingly at him and he nods, before continuing on with his lecture. Laurens sits on the left side of me while a girl who looks so similar to Peggy, with light brown skin and warm dark brown eyes but I happen to notice flecks of gold in her dark brown irises, her walnut brown hair is frizzled and pulled around her neck, therefore making her curls cascade over her shoulder and a few bangs covering one of her eyes. She wears a red leather jacket with a black shirt underneath it and a maroon colored skirt with black flats. She wears light blush and eyeshadow, little eyeliner and mascara but bright, cherry red lipstick. She stares, bored, at George with her cheek resting against her palm as she chews on a stick of bubblegum. I stare past her, out the window. I can see my reflection through the glass, faintly, but I'm there. Staring back at myself. To be fairly honest, it's actually a beautiful day here in Manhattan. The sky is a perfect, cloudless blue with the sun shining its bright rays right above the school. It's as though the sun is directly above us. Birds chirp as they fly across the sky, flapping their wings. Cars in the distance, past the bushes, zoom in a blur down the interstates. Skyscrapers tower around us, flashing their advertisements on the side of the buildings brightly, almost blindingly. 

 "Alexander?" George's voice says, snapping me out of my thoughts. I blink. The girl in the chair beside me eyes me warily as I clear my throat before turning back toward George. I sit up straighter, giving him my full attention as I brush back a loose auburn curl behind my ear. George raises an eyebrow. "You still with us, son?" 

 I can feel everyone's eyes on me. Feeling a little self-conscious, I shrink into my chair a little, wrapping my arms around myself while biting my lip. I nod. 

 "Okay..." George says. He claps his hands together. "Well, while we're still on the topic of Alexander, everyone? I'd like you to meet my son, Alexander, who also happens to be your newest classmate. Alexander? This is everyone!" 

 I glance around the room, feeling all eyes pinning me to my desk. They don't say anything. Just stare at me as though I were some kind of alien. I might as well be. 

 "Alexander?" George says. "Why don't you come introduce yourself to the class?" 

 I give him a look, scowling and shivering at the very thought. I don't answer his question, just give him the look. 

 "Or not," George mumbles. He clears his throat before continuing. "But I would like you all to treat him with the same respect you give each other. Just because he's new here, doesn't mean he gets to be treated harshly or differently. With that said, let's continue on with the lesson, shall we? Okay, good talk! So..." 

 George's words begin to drown out around me as I turn toward the window again. I have my arms folded over my chest and I stare back out the window with a blank look, my lips pressed together. I don't know how long it's been since George continued his lesson. But pretty soon, the bell rings, indicating first period was over. George seems to be in a middle of a sentence when his words were cut off because of the bell. George sighs through his nose and flops down on his chair.