Chapter Eleven

I STAND IN front of my locker, stuffing my English books inside and exchanging them for my Biology textbooks. My bookbag is unzipped and propped up against the wall beneath me under my locker, a giddy smile on my face as an image of Eliza fills my head. My heart flutters every time I think of her.

 "Someone's in a good mood," a male, southern voice says. 

I yelp, causing the locker door to slam shut as I whirl around to find John Laurens standing next to me. He has a teasing grin on his face as both eyebrows are arched upward. He tilts his head a little to one shoulder with his arms folded over his chest and his ankles crossed over each other. I let out a sigh of relief when I realize that it was just him. I open my locker door again and continue doing the task I was already doing. I brush back a loose auburn curl behind my ear absentmindedly and the giddy grin returns. I nod with confirmation at Laurens observations. 

 "I am," I agree.

 "Well," Laurens says. "Do prey tell, Hamilton. What has gotten you in a good mood lately? Last time I saw you were a grumpy, angsty teenager."

 I shoot Laurens a look over my shoulder and raise an eyebrow, the giddy smile instantly falling. Laurens realizes his mistake and tosses both hands up in the air, taking a step back. 

 "Just sayin'!" he says, his country accent rolling off of his tongue. The giddy smile returns as I turn my attention back toward my locker, stuffing a notebook inside. 

 "You're right," I say. "I am in a good mood." 

 A pause. 

I shut my locker door once I'm finished with my task, twisting the silver lock using my combination code and turn to face Laurens with my arms folded over my chest. 

 "I got a date!" I exclaim. 

 For a split second, Laurens frowns but he tries to cover it up, hoping I didn't see it. But I did. But Laurens recovers, forcing a fake smile to appear on his face. 

 "A...A date?" he repeats. 

 I nod. "Mhm. But we're not going until close to December." 

 He frowns again, but this time he doesn't recover. He keeps the frown there. I swear, I could see a twinkle of jealousy in his pale, blue eyes. He tucks a loose strand of blonde hair behind his ear and clears his throat. 

 "With who?" Laurens asks, his voice going suddenly cold. 

 "Eliza," I say. "I'm going as her date to the Schuyler's Annual Winter's Ball." 

 Laurens nearly chokes on air, I suppose. But he makes a choking sound when he hears the truth. His eyes widen slightly and he gapes at me, his jaw slacked a little. 

 "E-Eliza?" 

 "Mhm." 

 "What...how—?" Laurens says, completely shocked. 

 "You seem surprised," I observe. I arch an eyebrow at him. "And flustered, might I add. Are you alright, John? Do you have a problem with me being with Eliza?"

 Laurens swallows thickly and shakes his head, scratching the nape of his neck awkwardly as he rocks back and forth on his heels. "No. No, of course. I'm happy for you, Alexander. Really. It's just...ah...nothing."

 "Oh, come on, John!" I say in a sing-song like voice. "Tell me! What's bothering you?" 

 "Uh...nothing! Nothing," he says, rather quickly I should add. I know he's lying then. "I'm fine. Fine. Forget I said anything! I'm uh...I'm really proud of you, Alexander. Congrats. See you in Bio." He pats my shoulder before rushing off.