Chapter Twenty-Three

I PACE IN my bedroom back and forth. The Sisters perch themselves on the edge of my bed or on the foot of my bed and drop the bags onto the floor. My violet eyes are wide, my face pale, my fingers tugging at my dark curled auburn hair. Angelica had told me Laurens was using me or plans on using me. Angelica had explained to me that Laurens had a thing for me ever since I had arrived at King's. But he's kept it a secret. He had a thing for me. He was in love with me. John Laurens is in love with me. That's why he asked me to be his fake girlfriend... not just because I have a woman's body shape but because... He's in love with me. When I heard his confession on the phone with his sister, I didn't want to believe it but now...now...it's...it's real. John Laurens is in love with me. 

"Would you calm down? You're making me nervous," Peggy says as she flops back down onto my bed, scrolling through her phone lazily. Her walnut curls flowing all around her in a sea of brown over her shoulders, framing her light brown face and spraying all over my pillows. 

Eliza sits on the edge of the bed, munching a cookie Martha had offered her when she introduced herself to her while also scrolling through what I think is Tik Tok on her phone. I couldn't tell properly from my peripheral, chuckling at a couple of videos. She has one leg crossed over the other, her light blue dress framing her shape beautifully. It has the shoulder straps but it's sleeveless. Her dark brown hair laid out against her back and letting a few strands of hair over her shoulders, a few bangs dangle in front of her rich brown eyes. Angelica sits at the foot of the bed with her arms crossed over her chest and an eyebrow raised as she watches me pace back and forth, back and forth while I constantly chew on my nails as anxiety fills my chest and mind. She wears a simple black long-sleeved shirt under her punch pink colored leather jacket and blue denim ripped jeans and simple white flats. Her wavy dark brown hair is pulled up into a bun, letting just a few bangs dangle in front of her dark brown eyes, framing her dark brown skinned face beautifully. 

 I glance at the Sisters for a quick moment before turning my attention back to my feet, watching one foot in front of the other, my heart pounding expeditiously. 

 "This is me calming down!" I protest, chewing on the tips of my nails, my eyes blown wide. 

 "Alex, dear," Eliza says sweet, clicking her phone off and setting it gently on my nightstand. She stares a moment at the framed photograph of my old family. Of my mother and father and a younger version of me next to my older biological brother, James. My throat clenches at the thought of his name. 

She clears her throat, her small smile returning when she turns to me. She pushes herself up from the edge of the bed and grabs my shoulders. I stop pacing and Angelica lets out a breathy, "Finally..." with a roll of her eyes. I frown at Eliza, confused yet surprised at the same me. Up close, Eliza's eyes appear to be black more than brown which makes this even more intimidating. She grips my shoulders and pulls out my chair from my desk and forces me to sit down. 

 "Sit," Eliza demands, jabbing her finger at me. "Calm down." 

 "He...He loves me," I say for the thousandth time. A pause. "Oh, God...Eliza, he's in love with me!" I shriek, my violet eyes blowing wide again as I go back at tugging at my hair, drawing my knees up to my chest. My breathing quickening, my chest tightening, my heart beating so loud I can hear it in my ears. It's then that I realize that I'm panicking. "Oh, God...Oh, God...Oh, God!" I feel myself shrinking reflexively against my chair. "Oh, God...what am I going to do?! What am I going to do?! I-I'm not even—"